windowsnt on 486

edited March 2007 in Software
Hi Guys My 486sx33 has windows95a i think it is crap i want to put windowsnt4 on it but all i have is a floppy drive in it i tried connecting a 8x cd-rom but i could not find a double ide for it isn there any way i can install it via floopy disk please help me from the guy who you think is a windows9x fan but this windows98se computer crashes after you have used it for awhile also i only have 16mb of ram

Comments

• Try copying it over a network. I'm going to warn you that NT4 will run like crap on only 16MB of RAM.
  • i can't setup a network because it is a compaq prolinea 486 and i am not going to buy it one
  • i don't get what the brand of the computer has to do with it.. i haev a compaq prolinea that networks bueatifuly

anywasy take it from me.... i have run NT 4 ona 33mhz with 20MB of ram... it was PURE SHIT!

my copy of NT wasn't great in the first place..... but it crashed with a BSOD every 5 minutes.....

trust me 95 is way better for that machine..... or if you want a bit of use for it, try installing NT 3.51 ... runs good on those specs.....
  • okay guys i am going to stick with 95 hey it has a 200mb harddisk and i made a windows95 primary partion and 10 logical drive at 10mb each it was a good way to keep things sperate also my primary partion is 100mb and who thinks i should upgrade to 95b if you think i should email me at philipmartelli@yahoo.co.nz :D I am a dumbass. :D
  • exsesive smilies use!!!! its as bad as the caps...

100MB and windows 95? your crazzy as hell what do you plan to actually run?
  • If your Compaq has an integerated or Compaq brand NIC, don't use the NT drivers becuase they don't work for some reason. Get the drivers from Compaq's website.
  • explanation.JPG

That explains it.
  • If you did use NT4 there wouldnt be much disk space left on 200MB
  • BOD wrote:
    If you did use NT4 there wouldnt be much disk space left on 200MB

You cant install service pack 6 on a 200mb drive. I tried that once with an AMD 350 mhz system with dual 200mb drives :D
  • NT 4 with no service packs, in my experiance couldn't do much.....

everything said it needed like SP4 or higher
  • You can install Windows NT from Windows 98, as long as there is a partition big enough to hold the files twice over.

I had no probs running Windows NT4 on a 486dx66 with 20 mb memory. Your c: partition should be a fat16 drive, and you can install NT4 and 9x on their own native partitions like D: and E:. As long as you can hold the i386 directory from the cdrom, and enough to spread it out, cdrom install runs soothly.

I used PC-DOS 7.0 to install Windows NT from the command prompt. It takes ages though.
  • stikc with 95, if you really want nt4 get atleast 32 mb of ram. Should come dirt cheap nowadays, the sd ram.
  • *sigh*
  • os2fan2: START READING THE DATES ON THINGS YOU RESPOND TO
  • Indeed, this topic is just short of 2 years old.
  • Can we please automatically ban anyone that replies to 2-year-old threads?
  • Lol why? There so big of a post gap, that the 2 year old posts are on the first page! For all we know, it could have been a date malfunction.
  • It's annoying.
  • Then put the old posts as archive or make em invisible.
  • nightice wrote:
    Can we please automatically ban anyone that replies to 2-year-old threads?

Certainly not. ANYONE who legitimately tries to help but makes mistakes should be told, in a less harsh manner then that, about the huge date-gap in these forums. I know I made this comment in a thread somewhere, I suspect others have PMd.

And, as Fish has said, it's not like we ban people here anymore anyway...

-Q
  • ka0s wrote:
    os2fan2: START READING THE DATES ON THINGS YOU RESPOND TO

Can you be a little more subtle?
  • Its not its his fault that theres threads taht go back 2 years lying around.
  • Especially since alot of their posts are incredibly detailed, rather then just "lol me too" or whatever some of the reactions seem more appropriate for.

-Q