Odd mac request...

edited April 2005 in Software
Hello everyone, been somewhat distant for a while it seems.... Well anyways to the point. My english teacher has an old mac IIsi with mac os 7.5.3, and a new G4 Ibook with OSX. She has various english related documents on the old mac's hard drive that she wishes to have on the ibook. I don't know about trying to network the two systems, as it would be somewhat difficult. The old mac has a floppy drive, the ibook does not. What I have in mind is this: I want to find a program that will let me make an image of the old macs hard drive, and let me copy files out of the image (using a windows based computer to do this with the mac drive as a slave). I then need to put the documents onto a cd (that the ibook will read). Anyone have any ideas? The old mac has word perfect 3.0, the ibook has ms office for mac 200x(I forgot which year, but it's quite new). Any idea if word will open the old word perfect files?
Also, if the hard drive image idea is a bad one, are there any programs for windows that will let me read data from floppies written from a mac? If I can just use a floppy or two then that would prevent having to take her machine apart to get the hard drive out (and transport it home, and put it in one of my computers, etc...) If that's possible I could open them in word for windows, and convert them into a word document, which might make opening them on the ibook much easier.
Go ahead, give all the ideas you guys can, I have never used a mac of any kind extensively, so I am a bit clueless about them.

Comments

• stupid answer... does both have email access??? cant she just email the docs from one computer ( to her self) and the download the on her new laptop??? or something like yahoo storage???
  • Uhm, I don't know if the old mac has any working internet possibilities, it did at one point, but I don't know if it does now, I don't know about the ibook either.
  • i'd say get a floppy for the mactop or get a network data link between the two going.
  • Yeah, I'm going to think about the floppy drive idea... it's the least messy.
  • Yeah, and they are cheap too...
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    Yeah, and they are cheap too...
    Please show me a cheap usb floppy drive that is mac compatible....
  • I know nothing about Macs and I've only seen two
    in my lifetime and didn't mess with them but
    Is there any possibilty that you could borrow a
    USB jumpdrive? I believe they work with at least
    some Apple products.

Thump
  • The old Mac is a Mac IIsi unfortunately he says, which I know doesn't have USB (obviously).

~Duff
  • http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=SEARCH

Right There... I dont know where you come from but 30 Bucks insn't expensive...
  • Duff wrote:
    The old Mac is a Mac IIsi unfortunately he says, which I know doesn't have USB (obviously).

~Duff
    Darn, I didn't know anything about them.
    What about internet capabilities? That was a good
    idea Chigowolfs had. He could send it to a gmail
    account. It's probably worth exploring.
    Sorry I was no help.

Thump
  • You could FTP it if you had an ethernet connection.
  • if he had a ethernet connection then he woudl just network them together...

if the old mac has a modem... he could upload it to FTP like warpy said or to an email like chicowolf said...

the "mactop" should have internet capabilities