Excellent News!

edited April 2005 in Software
I've convinced my school for on the webserver I administrate to convert to FreeBSD! Beats UBuntu Linux :puke:.

I am going to read the manuals, but I am looking for any tips or pointers I should do.

I want to have a secure, accessible web server (FTP and HTTP) that has PHP and MySQL support (possibly Perl).
I'll probably be doing most of the configuring remotely over SSH if that has any relevance.

I know Tom has alot he could say here LOL.

Comments

• Duff wrote:
    I've convinced my school for on the webserver I administrate to convert to FreeBSD! Beats UBuntu Linux :puke:.

I am going to read the manuals, but I am looking for any tips or pointers I should do.

I want to have a secure, accessible web server (FTP and HTTP) that has PHP and MySQL support (possibly Perl).
    I'll probably be doing most of the configuring remotely over SSH if that has any relevance.

I know Tom has alot he could say here LOL.

Read the handbook, it's excellent, FTP is built into the base system, unless you want to use another daemon.

Apache is best to use for HTTP. I use 1.3x but 2x is just as good.

If you want things like quotas and other special features a custom kernel is needed; they're very easy to compile so shouldn't be too hard.

PHP and MySQL are mentioned in two topics I posted on this forum.

Depending on how much time you have you can either use ports or compile from the source.

If you configure everything right you can have all of that in under 250MB.
  • Who the hell uses Ubuntu on a server? They should have gone Debian, it's exactly the same but without the pretty GUI.
  • Ubuntu has a minimal option when you install named "server" or something, I can't remember
  • custom-expert installs a base system. but ubuntu's apt repositories are much smaller, though, i would use debian.
  • nightice wrote:
    custom-expert installs a base system. but ubuntu's apt repositories are much smaller, though, i would use debian.

Really? I wouldn't use Linux at all.
  • Really? I would. Perhaps Gentoo.
  • Let's not start this again, it gets boring ::roll:
  • yes this pointless linux bashing/defending is a complete waste of our time...

however i'm very interested in learning more about FreeBSD, i know nothing so how about some of the experianced users give some good pointers, places to learn more.. and i want to hear more about making a custom kernal
  • I'd start with a command-line-oriented Linux distro like Slackware or Debian first. They're easier to learn than FreeBSD at first, then once you understand those, you can move up to BSD.

Learn FreeBSD by reading the handbook. A lot of reading, but it's worth it. I'll admit to not reading much of it, but what I did go over helped.

As for building a kernel, you only need to if you have funky hardware not supported in the default kernel or modules.

BTW, I'd like to ask one thing about FreeBSD and kernel modules: can it load them on-the-fly? I remember seeing a thread on the LinuxISO forums about making sound work in BSD, the guy said he had to edit some file in /boot, i forget what it was. So would he have edited it to make it load the module at all or make it load by default?
  • Well, I really don't have time for that niteice LOL. I'm installing and configuring FreeBSD tomorrow, in less than 12 hours.
  • nightice wrote:
    I'd start with a command-line-oriented Linux distro like Slackware or Debian first. They're easier to learn than FreeBSD at first, then once you understand those, you can move up to BSD.

Learn FreeBSD by reading the handbook. A lot of reading, but it's worth it. I'll admit to not reading much of it, but what I did go over helped.

As for building a kernel, you only need to if you have funky hardware not supported in the default kernel or modules.

BTW, I'd like to ask one thing about FreeBSD and kernel modules: can it load them on-the-fly? I remember seeing a thread on the LinuxISO forums about making sound work in BSD, the guy said he had to edit some file in /boot, i forget what it was. So would he have edited it to make it load the module at all or make it load by default?

Linux is not easier to learn the FreeBSD. If anything, I would say FreeBSD is easier to learn because of superior documentation. A fair compromise (take it or leave it) would be that they're just different one not being easier than the other, i don't really believe that (given the superior manpages etc.) but I'm not interested in starting another Linux vs Reality war @ 1:19AM.

And yes, you can load modules in FreeBSD, similar to modprobe.

btw: I also like how you threw Gentoo in there for hopes of support ;) Not going to happen :P

I use Gentoo because I like *nix but FreeBSD doesn't have proper drivers (other than shitty xorg ones) for my Radeon, I love ATI :)

While it is true i don't hate Linux like some people I'm not a fanboy either.
  • omgpix wrote:
    Linux is not easier to learn the FreeBSD. If anything, I would say FreeBSD is easier to learn because of superior documentation. A fair compromise (take it or leave it) would be that they're just different one not being easier than the other, i don't really believe that (given the superior manpages etc.) but I'm not interested in starting another Linux vs Reality war @ 1:19AM.
    OTOH, if you're a teach-yourself type person...
    omgpix wrote:
    While it is true i don't hate Linux like some people I'm not a fanboy either.
    I don't hate FreeBSD but I'm not a Linux fanboy. We're even. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No, I said that Ubuntu on a server is not the greatest idea. Like XP on a server. *cough**cough*fishy*cough**cough**coouuugghhh*

And so I mentioned how I would have done it, notably, by avoiding a desktop-oriented distro.
  • XP on a server > Linsux on a server.
  • You say Linux sucks. Did you, by any chance, get this opinion from an overbloated distro like SuSE or Fedora? Or did you try, say, Debian?
  • he didn't really say linux sucks, he said XP was better on a server then linux...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.