HDD Clone Question

edited April 2005 in Hardware
OK. Now after my Problem with my NTLDR thing, I put my 18.5GB disk back into my PC (the one it was in 3 hours ago and working) into my Duron 900 (Main PC) and Set my 40GB as Slave so I could Format it in Windows sucessfully. I want everything on the 18.5 GB to be on the 40GB (one less PC I have to install Crap on) Can I clone the 19.5 with lets say Ghost and will it boot correctly and not keep on restarting? I tried the Quick Format in NTFS and it didnt work so Now Im trying the Full Format...

Nick

Comments

• Switch to generic IDE drivers and it will probably work.
  • How do I switch them?
  • heh.. I used ghost from it's boot disk (I turned it into a boot cd). I "successfully" copied my 40GB hard drive to a 60GB drive, when I tried to boot into windows with the 60GB drive the logon screen appeared but sorta hung at the part before the names appear (Windows XP logo in the middle of the area where the names go). Tried several times and it just wouldn't work. Ghost 9 (2003) was the first one to do NTFS partitions directly.. and I guess it can't do them very well..
  • Heh...that's what I like about *nix...cat /dev/hda1 > /dev/hdb1...then switch master-slave combinations...far more reliable then ghost.
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    Can I clone the 19.5 with lets say Ghost and will it boot correctly and not keep on restarting? I tried the Quick Format in NTFS and it didnt work so Now Im trying the Full Format...

Nick
    Not if it's XP I don't think. It'd see it wasn't on the
    original machine.
    It's the activation thing.
    Some other OSs could work but it's
    not worth it to hunt the new drivers.
    There's an article in today's Langa List about a CD
    that can help. Here's the link:
    Langa List
    I hope that helps.

Thump
  • That's Cool... Thanks.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I might have not understood, it was real complicated
    about all the moves of the hard drives back and forth
    but if you were trying to install it on the same
    machine it will work fine.
    guzzle.gif
    Thump
  • I ghosted XP in my dell and for my dell, but because it's OEM and on the OEM machine.. activation never comes up (but if I install XP from the cd on another computer it does). So could it have been activation freaking out because the hard drive changed size?
  • OEMs ship their systems pre-activated, since you had the system in an activated state, it didn't bother asking you.
  • I noticed when i reinstalled XP on the dell, after i got the new HDD, that it didn't ask me for activation and that it never prompted me to set up any other usernames... just made "Owner" and logged me on with it...