60MB OS

edited March 2007 in Software
Hi! What will u say, which operating system (it can be anything - unix, windows, etc... - but concretely) i can put to 60Mb hard disk? (please don't write things like "why, it's nonsense etc.") :Fade-color

Comments

• - Windows NT 3.1 (maybe)
    - Linux:
    - Damn Small Linux - 50mb, includes X and such
    - Many distributions run from a single floppy
    - muLinux runs from up tom 14 floppies
    - OpenBSD's base install is around 35mb
    - Not certain about FreeBSD, but it's probably larger
  • Sory, but windows NT 3.1 exists?
  • FreeBSD base install is about 100MB, but there isnt much you can do with it until you install extra programs
  • That's why muLinux is cool - sure, the software is fricking old, but it even comes with a minimal C compiler - I think GCC - so you can get more software. Unfortunately, it has drivers for about 5 network cards, so you have to go find the 2.0.36 kernel source and compile your card's module.
  • Yeah I used muLinux for a while on my old laptop and it was pretty cool for running off a DOS partition, with Windows 98 already on there.

EDIT Note: Sorry, didn't notice the date...this is getting annoying.
  • I don't see why nobody thought of this in 2005, use a live cd. It's amazing that absolutely nobody thought of this when the question was posted in 2005.

Wipeout: Don't worry, I'm getting used to it.
  • Um...if the computer has a 60mb hdd, I seriosuly doubt it would even have a CD drive, let alone boot from it.
  • Maybe it's a newer computers and the HD is just a pull. But for the record, NT 3.1 wouldn't fit on 60 MB.
  • Why would someone put a 60MB hdd in a new machine? Flash drives from 3years ago are bigger than that.
  • Desperation? Hey I'm running XP on a 2 GB HD.
  • But it's 60 MB. I throw anything smaller than a 5GB out usually.
  • A 60mb hdd is also going to be slow as hell, running any modern OS on it would be painful.
  • You might as well just spend $5 at some eBay auction for a 10GB HDD.
  • For me, I'm broke so I have no other until I get some money.
  • $5 isn't too hard to come up with...
  • Exactly. You could find it on the floor if you walked past enough bus stops.
  • Sure, but I don't think I should bid on eBay for an HD. You don't what you're getting, I could be getting a POS with bad sectors.
  • Then buy the ones that are sold as "tested".
  • I expect it would be hard indeed for pejko to find $5 in
    Slovakia but I don't know what I'd advise him to do with such a
    small hard drive. I would expect the rest of his machine is very
    old as well. He should be able to run dos I suppose.

Thump
  • That was 2 years ago.
  • Here are your main two choices:

A - Use some outdated Linux POS is stripped to hell with no UI and crappy programs.

B - Use Windows 3.1 and just have a working OS that's easy to use.
  • 60MB? Holy hell! I throw out anything under 40 gigs!
  • It's * Slovakia*, it sounds like a second Russia where everyone is poor and they spend their money on booz!
  • Throw out anything under 40 Gigs. This is a site dedicated to old software and everyones wasting old stuff...
  • Here are your main two choices:

A - Use some outdated Linux POS is stripped to hell with no UI and crappy programs.

B - Use Windows 3.1 and just have a working OS that's easy to use.

Err, Windows 3.1 would fall under outdated and more than likely in this age, crappy programs. :lol:
  • Eh yeah I tried editing out the word outdated but missed the other one.

:|
  • Wipeout wrote:
    Throw out anything under 40 Gigs. This is a site dedicated to old software and everyones wasting old stuff...

My cutoff is still where it was back in 2002: ~500MB cutoff, and even then I still keep Connor 210s that check out perfectly.

-Q
  • I wouldn't throw out anything, unless it's damaged.
  • HeHe, I still have that old ~120MB Caviar from Fish, and the 5MB ST516/12[sic] from the Zenith!

-Q