A Domain - Windows XP question

edited April 2005 in Software
OK. My brother has set up a server pc in the house to controll most things like printers, mail server, etc. Now, he set up a domain too. If I join the domain in Windows XP, XP shuts off Fast User Switching AND the welcome screen. Now, I also noticed that when on a domain, if you want to access the Task Manager, you have to click CTRL+ALT+DEL and click Task Manager. I need 2 things... 1) How to turn on Fast User Switching (This PC needs it!) and 2) how do I make it so when I press CTRL+ALT+DEL, the task manager comes up. My PC needs to be on this domain name, or most things will not work. Thank you in advance.

/me **whew** :?

Comments

• Well, that's impossible. There may be some 3rd party application out there that messes with the registry to confuse it, but, Fast User switching is disabled when the computer is connected to the domain and to quickly get task manager up, hit Ctrl + Shift + Esc when you're on a domain controller and don't wanna go thru pressing the button. You don't need to be on a domain controller to use that shortcut though.
  • Yeah, but I read online that it is possible to do it on Windows Longhorn... that's what really sucks... I'm still searching for a hack online.
  • T'is, it's fun using LongHorn.

It kept crashing my PC out at startup though :S it is a BETA too though
  • I know if you're using the welcome screen and you click CTRL + ALT + DEL it gives you the classic logon prompt, so maybe theres a service or registry change somewhere
  • BOD wrote:
    I know if you're using the welcome screen and you click CTRL + ALT + DEL it gives you the classic logon prompt, so maybe theres a service or registry change somewhere

I know there is, but I don't know what it could be... I'm still searching though
  • and how would domain logon work for the welcome screen?

anyways whats the difference if your not on the domain? naming your workgroup on that machine the same as the domain should give you normal acccess to everything else... what specificaly do you need to be on the domain for?

EX:

domain name: Hypnos

oh noes! i can't access a file on meh server cause i'm not on that domain!

Rename workgroup to hypnos

yeppee!

ok, juvinile? yes but did it get my point accross? i read that this is a solution for XP home users that need to access things on the domain...
  • OK. I'll try it your way when I get on tomorrow.