Windows XP Professional x64

edited January 2007 in Software
What's it like, compared to Windows XP 32-bit?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Didn't they remove 16bit program support?
  • Man thats a bummer, that means in the future we'll all have to have a really good 64-bit PC and an older 32-bit PC to shove 16-bit stuff on, or we could just stick with XP 32-bit...
  • Who the hell uses 16bit anyways?
  • I do for a start, I still prefer using some 16-bit programs to 32-bit ones, not because of the architecture, but because the software is better.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Heh, okay.

VirtualPC/VMware

Exactly.
  • But, will VmWare/VPC be compatible with XP64?
  • i think so, but if not now, it will be sooner or later
  • I think in some review it wouldn't let them install VPC 2004...

most bugs will be fixed, and if you have a 64 bit CPU then its probably better to use...

I know what you mean about havign 16 bit apps, i still use PSP 3 because its what i'm used to... but the question is, would you run a 16 bit app on a 64 bit system in the first place? probably not...

thats why its good to have a few different systems around so, if you get nestalgic (sp?) you can hop on an oldie PC you have and fire up that olden day app, or game...

i turned one of my 486s in to a DOS gameing PC... because i still like some of them,

but for your everyday use PCs, those are the ones you keep up to date, running the newest and the greatest... so for them if that PC has a 64 bit CPU then stick XP 64 bit on there... its always good to have an OS that takes full advantage of the CPU's capabilities, and unless i'm mistaken, XP 64-bit does that.

plus you have to look at it from MS's point of view, why should they continue to incorrperate/develoup support for programs hardly anyone uses these days?

the only issue, which seems to be a big one, is programmers using 16-bit installers.... but thats just their ignorance
  • Yea, im running vista x64 (final not beta shit) and it runs considerably faster than the x86 architecture, considering you have good 64bit proccessor. Xp x64 was BS because it had real bad driver support so it wasnt really worth it, if you really want an x64 os then go for vista. Vpc 2007 and Vmware run in x64, im proof. And yes they launch 16bit programs just fine(emulated 3.1,95,98,NT 4.0).