Laptop Randomly Freezing

BODBOD
edited March 2007 in Hardware
On wednesday, I got a new laptop. It seems to have a problem, it randonmly freezes.

I restart it and checkdisk starts, it occasionly finds lost file fragments. So, thinking the drive was screwed up or something, I ran spinrite, it found no problems.

This only seems to happen when the lid is closed, so maybe the APM settings are messed up?

I'm going to leave memtest running when I'm at work just to rule out RAM issues.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• JJ
    edited May 2005
    Try a different hard drive in it and see what happens.

EDIT: nvm, JuleOS didn't read it all properly.
  • I don't have a second hard drive, besides I've already ruled out that.
  • Check over the APM settings in the BIOS and in Windows, it could be something to do with that.
  • Run MemTest86.
  • Does it get extremely hot? Check if all the fans are runnign properly.

Wat kind of laptop is it?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'ts been running memtest86 for about 7hours now and no errors yet.
    I'ts not that hot, BIOS settings were disabled. It's an IBM 240, about 4 years old I think, and how do you convert to NTFS?
  • Command line:
    convert <DRIVE>: /fs:ntfs

See, I am partially bright.
  • I usually format the drive to NTFS first, but windows came preinstalled on this., I'll get around to doing that when memtest is done
  • By now, I would've stopped it because I would've been so impatient and just turned it off.
  • But I want to know if everything is fine :P, plus im not using it, it's just sitting there
  • Yeh, but if it was this PC (this is the only PC with internet access), I think I'd die waiting.
  • Mine seems to hang while the wireless internet receiver is in. How much hardware is connected to it?
  • I'm not sure he even HAS this laptop anymore, this thread is from 2005 (and I know BOD has gotten some new machines between now and then)!

-Q
  • That laptop found the scrapheap a *long* time ago.
  • Kind of sad, I think I remember seeing it on SigX around here about that long ago...

-Q