Will you change your OS to Windows Vista?

edited March 2007 in Software
We all know that Microsoft has released Windows Vista Enterprise Editions,and the version for home users will be released on 30th January.
Will you install Windows Vista on your PC?

Comments

• I have installed RC2 and it ran just well on my computer, but I don't think I will be changing over until there's a serious benefit over XP, and right now I don't see any.

Nick
  • Its a Pentium III, of course not.
  • I don't want to. I'm content with Windows XP and Gentoo Linux right now. Although, this computer could possibly easily handle it.
  • If a copy of Vista Ultimate came my way I may be persueded, to install it on a seperate hard drive in my main machine adn see how it runs, and may eventually dual boot XP and Vista, but for now , without a decent graphics card or decent speed ram, no. Tho for a laugh I may install it onto a 1 gig machine with 256 meg of ram and an 8 meg gfx card :P.
  • I don't want to. When I was testing the BETAs out, they've moved SO much around, it's scary. I don't want to learn how to use Windows again.

J
  • Vista reminded me of a mac on steroids along with some extra DRM and restrictons sprinkled on top. Not to mention its graphics requirements are too great and I'm not wasteing money on extra parts when this system will be obsolete in a year or so, and I can use the money elsewhere, other than wasting it on a graphics card when I never play games.
  • Hmm tough call. chances are I might be but I doubt it even though I got the Ultimate RTM installed right now. I really don't like its audio support,
  • I probably will, lazyness will prevail.
  • In short, no.

In long...

Vista is nothing more than a quick hodge podge of "ooh shiny" features that in the end, serve no purpose to me. I despise the Aero interface, I don't like the idea of the UAC and I'll be damned if I want to entrust Microsoft to protect me by limiting access to the kernel from third party security software vendors while they retain access in their security products.

Vista is the ME of the XP code base in my opinion.
  • Hmm, this topic is a little out of date given that "Will" has by now become "Have" or "Wont"/"Can't".

-Q
  • Probably, I'm still running XP on most my machines, expect the macs. I will probably upgrade to Vista on the Athlon64 because of the improved UNIX api's.
  • Already have... Windows Vista Home Premium.

-Kirk
  • Still, same. No intentions of going to Vista. Even with(only to make several people envy my machine and blab at me only to try to convince me to install Vista):

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (low power) - 2.2Ghz Dual Core
    2GB DDR800 RAM
    nVidia 7950GT w/ 512MB GDDR3 RAM
    320GB SATAII HDD

I don't want to install Vista because of three things:
    1) I don't want to mess with my bootloader *again*
    2) I'm content with Windows XP - Everything runs fine.
    3) I use Windows around 10% of the time, not enough for me to warrant an upgrade.
  • Someone needs to close this topic before it turns into a flame war (per usual) :|
  • I'll dual-boot Vista until my Beta expires.
  • Vista actually is pretty cool/useful if you run it on the hardware it was designed for. I like the sidebar and its RSS capabilities alot. Only problem is that I don't have a powerful enough video card to run Vista to its fullest extent (I only have an ATI Radeon AIW 128 TV Card).

So yeah I'd prefer XP until I get a better system/video card setup.
  • I always ax the "Sidebar" immediately.

-Q
  • The sidebar is cool, but it lags like hell on my computer. Same with Media Center...
  • What is Media Center anyway? I don't know what it is.

-Q
  • It's like a media management program. It manages/previews/plays live TV, media, pictures, and movies. Basically like WMP except with TV/DVD/music/picture management as well.
  • Interesting. I may have to check that out, but I suspect I'll just keep using Explorer.exe.

-Q
  • Q, Media Center is more or less a TiVO like setup.
  • I don't know what TiVO is, but Media Center is usually for if your computer is hooked up to a TV. It manages Music, Pictures, Movies, Games, TV, etc.
  • It's not all that good. I have it it and don't see a use for alot of the stuff.
  • Yea, I echo WO: I have no idea what that implies. I may just have to check it out, assuming I haven't uninstalled it yet.

-Q
  • If my poor PC :( meets the minimum specs. for the installation I will use Windows Vista Ultimate :)
  • just get a 512 mb ram and your athlon should be able to handle it.
  • Well we all know I'm on Vista Ultimate. heh.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    just get a 512 mb ram and your athlon should be able to handle it.
    :( :( :( I want to buy 1 or 2gb ram (My crappy Mobo only supports up to 2gb ram), but it`s very expensive for me, here in Argentina :(
  • ka0s wrote:
    Well we all know I'm on Vista Ultimate. heh.
    Congratz :)