Windows 2000 availability

edited March 2007 in Software
Does anyone know roughly what time Windows 2000 will be allowed to be on the server? I starting to collect Operating Systems so I need to know.

:?

Comments

• off-topic but is the support for 2000 still running?
  • Active support for Windows 2000 Ended in 2005, but it is still supported under extended support until 2010. Read more here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us&x=9&y=10&scid=fh%3Ben-us%3Blifecycle

And
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/05/27/422721.aspx

• It'll probably be QUITE some time before 2000 is generally considered "abandoned".

-Q
  • There are some major windows 200 servers, the primary part in the school runs off one (ITs connected to the master 2003 server). Doesent ebay still run of 2000 servers?
  • Parts of ebay still use 2000 afaik, but I think they're slowly switching to 2003
  • <b>Windows ME's support ended in 2006 with Windows 98. I wonder why Windows 2000's support is still running?</b>
  • mdogg wrote:
    <b>Windows ME's support ended in 2006 with Windows 98. I wonder why Windows 2000's support is still running?</b>

Businesses still use Windows 2000, and most still have support contracts.
  • 2000 is still largely usable. Me isn't.
  • Windows Me couldn't even be close to be considered "usable"
  • It was :P. But now no drivers are made for it, SATA doesn't work on it, and I don't even think it will boot on Athlon64s.
  • Was it all 9x's, or just ME, that would report 512MB+ as being "too little" ?

-Q
  • I hadit on 98SE. So, it's all 9x operating systems.

-Alexander Zarach
  • There is a fix for that afaik.
  • Yea one of the numerous Critical Updates that WU4 on 98 delivers. I think I remember installing it.

-Q
  • BOD wrote:
    2000 is still largely usable. Me isn't.
    I just gave away a ME machine and it was working fine and still
    is and she's very happy with it. I had it set up double booting
    with XP but there's no way XP could ever learn to use the dial up
    modem so she has to use ME for internet use. Of course her
    computer that just tore up ran 98 so it wasn't too hard a step
    for her. It does everything she wants to do. She uses computers
    at work all the time but she learned how to use them.

Thump
  • I bet you she'll recieve the inevitable BSOD, and complain to you. My school ran windows for workgroups 3.11 and windows ME. wfwg 3.11never froze, windows ME crashed every day.
  • On the same hardware?

-Q
  • No. The wfw 3.11 used beige screens with brown keyboards and orange keys. The screens were, unfortunately, black and white. We had 95 pcs upgraded to ME.
  • alexzarach wrote:
    I bet you she'll recieve the inevitable BSOD, and complain to you. My school ran windows for workgroups 3.11 and windows ME. wfwg 3.11never froze, windows ME crashed every day.
    You got a bet alexzarach, I used it for a couple of years and
    never got a blue screen. I don't know why a lot of people had
    trouble with it, I never did. Of course I really didn't care for it
    and had it set up almost exactly like I did 98 and didn't use the
    fancy stuff.

Your experience was with a machine that didn't work well or
    wasn't set up properly. After I got rid of my first computer I
    never had any trouble with 95, 98, or ME.

Thump
  • WoW, I've never actually seen a real monochrome screen with anything more then DOS or the equivalent.

-Q
  • I used 12 seperate pcs-all with windows ME. They all crashed. I reinstalled me, to no avail.
  • Have microsoft completely cut off 98?

I was working on a 98SE system the other day, tried to download any availble updates... and windows update thought I was running a mac :-|

How the hell does 98 get detected as a mac?

Anyways... I hate 9x with a passion... there was a time when I liked 95... I don't think I've ever liked 98...

98 does indeed blue screen easily... depending on the hardware... sometimes you can have it running fast and stable...

but other times, just recently in fact, 98 crashed when I tried to install drivers for the sound card... I double/tripple checked to make sure they were for windows 98SE... and they were.... didn't make a difference... still crashed...

Not only that, but I had to repair 3 missing vxd files and a dll error... 98 ftl...
  • The monocrome screen looked quite odd when running 3.11. 98 blue-screened on my late laptop for no reason.