Visual Basic 4 32-bit in Win3x with WIN32S???

edited February 2007 in Software
Hello Everyone!
I am currently running Windows For Workgroups 3.11 in a virtual machine. I took visual basic in school a few years ago and havent really touched it for a while but wanted to design some apps from WFW.. So i found MB VB4 disk and was about to instal it in my virtual machine and suddenly remembered that it came in both 16-bit and 32-bit versions. I remembered i once read that the 32-bit version could also be installed on Win3x if the Win3x was running WIN32s.. So I downloaded n installed WIN32s and tested the instal with the supplied 32-bit Frecell app.. Every thing appeared to be fine. I was like, "Awesome!" I then proceeded to run the 32-bit VB4 setup file from the run command and got the following message:

Setup Intialization Error
This Setup program is not intended to be used with your version of Windows.

Can anyone confirm for me that VB4 32-bit can be run in Windows 3x using WIN32s?

If yes, how?

If no, why not?

If no, would it be possible to do so using a DOS Extender Such as Pharlap's? I have heard of this but so far have no experience with the Phalap DOS extenders.

Sorry so long... Thanks In advance!

KeepDOSAlive

Comments

• PS Just joined the forum... and forgot to say hello

hello everyone!

Thanks Again

KeepDOSAlive
  • Win32s during install says that it can run most 32 bit apps but that one definatly sounds like it was made for Win95, so sorry your best bet is to use the 16 bit version. The reason being is that Win32s is an addon desinged to give 32 bit support to a 16 bit system.
  • You might just be able to figure out whatt method it's using to check your OS, hack it, and install and see if it has any problems.
  • FYSA Win32s was designed to allow applications targeting Windows NT 3.x to run on Windows 3.x - often that also included things written for 95, NT4, and sometimes even 98 but that wasn't their plan and it's iffy (and yes I know I'm necro-ing an 11 year old post. Who cares? Someone else might come across it and be thankful).