command for open the msconfig application in Win2000???

edited March 2007 in Software
Hello, i

Comments

• So...you want to run the equivalent of system restore? If so, there is a guide to doing this at http://www.basichardware.com/restore_system_files.html
  • I've modified your font size.

Windows 2000 doesn't have msconfig, however I remember Fish saying that if you got the msconfig.exe from a Windows XP installation, you could use that on 2000.

As to system restore on 2000, my method is this, but again, check others as well:

Get your Windows 2000 CD and the service pack installer (If you have installed any service packs, EG. SP4)
    Goto \WINNT\System32\dllcache and delete everything.
    Goto Start > Run and type "sfc /scannow"

If the files have been screwed up, it will ask for your installation CD. Insert it and respond to the dialog accordingly. It should then correct any fraudulent files.

-Q

PS. Ofcourse, make sure you've removed the virus first!
  • edited February 2007
    :) I`M A MEMBER NOW!!! :):)

it`s so bad that Win2000 doesn`t have any msconfig app.... :( :( :(

And about the virus (by NOD32 2.5 Antivirus UPDATED ALL DAYS) the virus is called Poebot.Win32, but it`s a trojan and according to NOD32; the virus is re-created (when is quarentined and deleted) BY THE SYSTEM FILE: svchost.exe ; so it`s the cause of that virus; this trojan was installed in this win 2000 when i`d installed an Bit-Torrent obtained copy of TuneUp Utils. 2006; but i have the same soft im my newer machine and it don`t caused any hurt on it... :(

The win2000 is with SP2; so, if i update that win 2000 SP2 to SP4, the trojan will disappear???? :)

p.s: Win2000 SP2 is running on a Pentium 1 266mhz with SCSI disc and cd drives crazy, or not? :)

and for the SFC command; it have one problem with SFC. When I execute that code in cmd; it shows an error to me an error that says: "The RPC service is not available" (I have tried with Services to enable any service that say "RPC", but nothing works) any suggestion?? :?

and other thing, I have one windows XP PRO SP2 CD, so I will try it, thanx Q for the TIP :)

Sorry for my bad english :? , FEDE
  • If you can't properly clean the system when its running, can you take the hard disk and put it in the other machine (The newer one) as a secondary hard drive, and scan it with the antivirus on there? That will prevent svchost.exe from recreating it and allow it to be fully cleaned.

-Q
  • The older machine uses SCSI hd and cd drives, and the newer one, uses IDE ones :)
  • You can't use and XP CD to overwrite 2000 files. I'm almost sure 2000 would fail.

As to "RPC", RPC stands for "Remote Procedure Call". I don't know what it would be called in Spanish.

You may want to try using MSs "Malicious Software Removal Tool": http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=es

Also, check what's set to start up with Windows. I reccomend using "RunAlyzer" or just Spybot:
    http://www.spybot.info/es/download/index.html

-Q
  • so, sorry for the span-english :(

In spanish, RPC means same thing than english: "Llamada a Procedimiento Remoto"... is the same thing in both lang. :)

but, the SFC it`s getting errors by this "RPC Service is missing" so, why SFC needs RPC???? :(
  • FedeVista wrote:
    so, sorry for the span-english :(

In spanish, RPC means same thing than english: "Llamada a Procedimiento Remoto"... is the same thing in both lang. :)

but, the SFC it`s getting errors by this "RPC Service is missing" so, why SFC needs RPC???? :(
    and i forget say this: thanx Q for the TIPS!!
  • For some strange reason, EVERYTHING in Windows requires RPC. If it crashes, it takes Windows with it (Remember W32/Blaster and what it did?)!

At any rate, I meant that "RPC" appears under services as "Remote Procedure Call". Try restarting the service and rerunning SFC.

-Q
  • but it appears to be disabled all time, but win2000 not crashes.... :(

But when i try SFC it, shows that error, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!! :(

And when i try to enable RPC, SFC continues with the error (and in services it says that RPC is enabled, when I start it) :( Crazy or not???

and I have a trojan (POEBOT.WIN32).... but i can`t remove it, it`s in svchost.exe.... :(
  • FedeVista wrote:
    but it appears to be disabled all time, but win2000 not crashes.... :(

But when i try SFC it, shows that error, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!! :(

And when i try to enable RPC, SFC continues with the error (and in services it says that RPC is enabled, when I start it) :( Crazy or not???

and I have a trojan (POEBOT.WIN32).... but i can`t remove it, it`s in svchost.exe.... :(
    Yeah, i know that trojan Blaster.... and in Argentina was an alarm on TV about this virus...
  • This may not work entirely well, but try it (And save your work first!):

Open NOD32.
    Open the Task Manager
    Kill all the svchost.exe's
    If something comes up about shutting down, Goto Start > Run and enter "shutdown -a"
    When they're all gone, run NOD32 and see if it can clean the infection.

-Q
  • ok, I will try it, and Thanks for the tip, i don`t knew this before.. :)

and.... Q, do you remember that post in that you say Vista 2xin the title? i have the same port on my newer pc (in a nvidia FX5200) so, i can say this is an s-video out for VIEW THE COMPUTER IN YOUR TV.... only the thing is reach the correct cable fot connect it to a TV!!
  • FedeVista wrote:
    (in a nvidia FX5200)

I think that's exactly the card I have, so if it's that in yours, I'm willing to believe it's the same in mine.

-Q
  • ok, try it, but before

FIND THE PROPER CABLE TO CONNECT IT TO A TV ( THIS CABLE APPEARS TO BE AN s-video to RCA FOR TV, but without audio cable, only the video)

for a photo, please send me a me message and i will take a photo of that hard-to-reach cable!
  • It's OK, I don't need to make use of it, I was just curious since Windows XP never made use of that port or suggested I could have two monitors.

-Q
  • edited February 2007
    oh, i use it for watching VCD and divx movies AND PLAY GAMES OR EMULATORS (LOOKS LIKE THE ORIGINAL CONSOLE) (NFS MW LOOKS BETTER THAN IN THE PS2) :) (no have DVD) in my TV and it just looks fine (LIKE DVD quality)
  • I don't have a DVD player either, but then again, I don't watch DVD movies, so I'm OK.

Anyway, I hope you can get this noxious virus removed from your system.

-Q
  • thanx you, this problem is so crazy but i`m hope this too!!!

p.s: here in argentina the hour is: 00:14:27 (24 hr) or 12:14:27 (12hr).... :p
  • You're on GMT - 7?

-Q

PS. You should make some posts in the "Random Cr
  • mm, no i`m in GMT -3 (Buenos Aires, Hometown; in Windows time zone)

WHAT`S THE MATTER WITH ARGENTINIANS???
  • ok but, i will reponding posts for help, ok?
  • OK, I went the wrong direction. Never could get those timezone calculations right. I'm in GMT - 5

Anyway, I have no issue against them, it's just that you're the first Argentinian on the board, so I suspect your presence in conversations would result in them being more interesting ;)

-Q
  • ok, excuse me, so i`m not an racist, but I LOVE USA!!! when I grow up, I have the plan for MOVING TO USA (i`m 15 years old) :)

and if you want to talk about argentina, you`re welcome... (argentina have treasures: low prices and beautiful places waitin for you)!!

:)
  • <G>. It's OK, I admit I use rather complex phrases at times when simple ones are better.

Anyway, I suggest, when you feel like it, checking out the section labeled "Random Crap".

-Q
  • no, i`ts ok

i`m understand you very good

i
  • In your signature, you ask us to visit your site? How can we if it's in Spanish? :idea: By the way, just replace the infected file(s) by copying it/them onto your computer from your Windows 2000 disk. If it's a file like svchost.exe, try to close it from task manager when you log on to Windows.':)
  • Q wrote:
    This may not work entirely well, but try it (And save your work first!):

Open NOD32.
    Open the Task Manager
    Kill all the svchost.exe's
    If something comes up about shutting down, Goto Start > Run and enter "shutdown -a"
    When they're all gone, run NOD32 and see if it can clean the infection.

-Q

Problem with that is shutdown.exe doesn't exist in 2000 :P

the msconfig thing works, like fish says, copying it from a XP install.. I do that a lot when if I have to fix someone's 2000 install...

I wonder if copying shutdown.exe from XP would work on 2000? I never tried...
  • I thought the files on the CD were compressed with that ".xx_" extention?

-Q
  • They are... if I recall correctly, you would need to use expander to expand the files...