Does Vista have compatibility mode?

edited March 2007 in Software
Compatible with DOS, and windows 9x?

Comments

• I doubt DOs is even possible, since I think they disabled 16bit mode.
  • edited February 2007
    As I remeber there is no true 16 bit emulation, Mr Microsoft was saying no body uses old 16bit apps anymore because everything the user wants or needs is available in Vista natively(ppfftt yeah right). But they always lie.
  • Is that 64bit though? I know they disabled 16bit on XP-64, I'd assume theyd have done it on vista.

WTF is it even there anyway? Who *uses* 16bit programmes now?
  • BOD wrote:
    Is that 64bit though? I know they disabled 16bit on XP-64, I'd assume theyd have done it on vista.

WTF is it even there anyway? Who *uses* 16bit programmes now?

I was in a uptown store, and they *still* used a DOS program to record sales transactions!

It looked like Lotus or some sort of DOS spreadsheet, I lol'ed.
  • It was probably a telnet based application, not a DOS app.
  • Firstly, cash registers would use windows embeded, not vista.

Most places use telnet for stuff like that. It's used tonnes at work for pretty much everything.
  • ka0s wrote:
    It was probably a telnet based application, not a DOS app.

Possible, however this store is one of those uptown depressed areas, that only see Four to Ten customers a day.
  • I still use an old 16 bit program to print cassette labels. It doesn't work properly under Vista, so I took out the ancient IBM ThinkPad 760CD. It works fine with Win'95.
  • Alot of people still do. Anyway, BOD, Vista 32 still has NTVDM/WoWExec. It's the 64 bit versions of Windows that don't support 16bit EXEs.

-Q
  • If you really needed to use a 16-bit app, you could use A) an old computer or B) dual boot with an older OS...

personally, I use like one or two 16 bit apps very rarely... and I like the newer versions better anyways... on my new system, which will probably run vista whenever they release a service pack, I would use the new versions of those programs...

But I'm also thinking, that your new system should run anything and everything... from old to new... but theres just some old stuff that doesn't run well on new hardware anyways...
  • OMG Bluesun is officially back. Let the party begin.

Or you could also use VPC 2007 (Free Download) to emulate it or Alternatively Vmware Workstation.
  • 1 word: Virtual Pc.
    Yea both versions x86 and x64 both dont support full 16bit emulation.
  • "Virtual PC" is two words and is still more work then just running in NTVDM (Assuming it's present).

-Q
  • If I recall... there are 3rd party emulators that work like NTVDM... only they're supposed to work better... you could try a google search for one
  • Q wrote:
    "Virtual PC" is two words and is still more work then just running in NTVDM (Assuming it's present).

-Q

lol you got a point. ITs the only way, i personally dont see any other options.