Should I upgrade?

edited March 2007 in Software
I have XP Pro SP2 on it now. Should I upgrade to Vista or do a clean install? The thing is that I have 72.7GB of Data to move/reinstall if I do a clean install, but the computer would probably be more stable, right?

If I do an update, is it possible to upgrade XP Pro SP2 x86 to Vista Ultimate X64?

Nick

Comments

• Do a clean install. If you are willing to pay $139.99 for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 OEM with an express Vista upgrade coupon, you can buy it at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2571832&CatId=672

Otherwise, just do a clean sp2 install with your disk. Vista is better, but more expensive.

-Alex Zarach
  • Perhaps in your case you might get something out of Vista that
    you don't get out of XP but there's really no reason to upgrade
    for most folks.

A clean install is best but if you're buying it then use the upgrade
    to save money. There's a way to install the upgrade as a
    stand alone clean install. I posted about it on hynosnet.org, I'll
    go get a copy and post it in Random Crap in a few.

Thump
  • The reason I want Vista is the improved UNIX/POSIX api's. I've seen much more UNIX software compiled on Vista without major rewrites.
  • Well Thank You all of you... I'm just not sure If I should wait because I'd hate to have to move and reinstall ALL that data.

Nick
  • I really dont see any thing else. Upgrading is bs since it leaves all kinds of trash behind. i recommend a clean install.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    I really dont see any thing else. Upgrading is bs since it leaves all kinds of trash behind. i recommend a clean install.
    I`m in agreement with you, do an clean install for removing some crap and bad configs that XP will left arround
  • I can understand an upgrade going from like, NT 3.1 to 3.5, but when you're jumping whole version numbers (5.x to 6), a clean install is preferable (IMAO).

-Q

PS. I think that's something almost all of us actually agree on.
  • Quite right, clean install is the way to go. I remember always upgrading stuff and its a hassle and usually degrades performance significantly. As for your data, make a weekend out of putting it back. That's what I do when I reformat.