Use of 2 Video Cards?

edited March 2007 in Hardware
I've got an AGP Geforce FX 5200 installed on my computer. My friend bought the same one (only for a PCI slot) and apparently has no use for it. If I stuck that into one of my open PCI slots, would that have any benefit (besides multiple monitors)?

Comments

• Just dual monitors.
  • does it have sli support? and does your mobo support sli?
  • He said AGP. SLI is PCI-Express :|.
  • Yeah, and my MoBo is like 7 years old lol.
  • really, i thought i saw a sli agp card on sale the other day? Maybe my eyes were playing on me. Yea i guess your mobo doesnt support pci-express?
  • Definitly not. I'm still wondering if I should get SLI or not. My dad keeps telling me to scrap this thing and buy a new machine for like 500$. Funny thing is, that my machine would play games better than some of these cheap comps.
  • It's a fx5200. Those cheap machines would beat the shit out of it.
  • wht are you saying taht, wipeouts card is better or the cheap comps. DOnt buy a cheap com, if you want to buy one i sugges you save at least 700-800a nd invest in a decent maching. Got mine got 850 or soemthing cant remmeber. amd 3500+, 512 x3 dual channel, ati x800 pci-e and a nice mobo. Runs all games you chuck at it NOW, runs them with no problem around 56 fps in fear with 1280 reso.
  • FX5X = shit
  • If I were you, I'd build a comp for a little more than $500. Maybe like $600. Mine came to $602 9 months ago.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice Core (939)
    ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (I loved it because I could keep my old ATI 9200 AGP and then wait to get a good card)
    1GB Corsair ValueSelect (2x512MB) Dual Channel DDR 400
    Western Digital Caviar 200GB SATA2 7200RPM Hard Drive
    Enlight EN-7255-AB4 Case w/ 300W PSU
    Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600 Pro Edition 256MB PCI-Express 16x

Nick
  • 939 is old. AM2 is the way to go.
  • Not all of us are "new", especially considering we hang around the forum of an abandonware site: The definition of "old"!

-Q
  • If you're going to spend that much on building a computer you might as well make it future proof though :P
  • AM2 is the best board I think and I believe it supports Aero with
    the embedded graphics. Otherwise Asrock is fine, I think it's
    made by Asus.

Thump
  • Asrock are shite
  • AM2 is the processor slot.

Anyway, most A64s are reasonably "future proof", at least to the point of 64bit ability.

And when I was building it, to have "gone to the head of the class" would've taking significantly more then it did to go one setp behind.

-Q
  • AGP is no longer having new cards developed for it, DDR1 is more of less obsolete, and no new CPUs are being released for 939 AFAIK, so anything less than AM2 wouldn't be "future proof", at least from an upgrading standpoint
  • That's the thing though, if you intend to keep it untill it needs to be replaced or if you want to slowly upgrade as time goes on.

Also, obsolete components are cheaper.

-Q
  • BOD wrote:
    Asrock are shite

I love my ASRock motherboard. It is a socket 939 but it has an expansion port to allow for the new AMD M2 Socket and DDR2 RAM. The board has been very dependable and has excellent overclocking capabilities and never let me down. The price is great too.

Nick
  • Thump wrote:
    AM2 is the best board I think and I believe it supports Aero with
    the embedded graphics. Otherwise Asrock is fine, I think it's
    made by Asus.

Thump
    And yes, this is the true, ASrock is the "Cheapest" way of ASUS (If you don`t have the money for an ASUS, go for ASrock :) )

AM2 AMD AND AMD64 X2 ROCKS!!!! :) I`m using the "grandfather" of AMD Athlon 64: the old, but very used today in argentina: AMD ATHLONXP 2000+ 1.66ghz. :)
  • My method, go to TigerDirect.ca. Look up cheapest 512 MB NVIDIA PCI-E card, cheapest AM2 (or 775) socket mobo, cheapest 2 GB of RAM.
  • I have to change my fucking mobo, to get a new proc since they only sell am2 chips here. I bought my 939 mobo like right before am2 came out. sad...

Completely offtopic:
    http://nyassassins.com/files/sig/diskdummies.gif
    What are those type of movies called, some are done with lego and play dough too.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    What are those type of movies called, some are done with lego and play dough too.

Brickfilms?

-Q
  • nah i found out wht it was anyway, its Free stop-motion animation.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    I have to change my fucking mobo, to get a new proc since they only sell am2 chips here. I bought my 939 mobo like right before am2 came out.

Weird, you can still get 754s here (What I have).

-Q
  • I'm getting a new setup, Celeron D 3.2 GHz and 1 GB of DDR RAM. Nothing special, but my parents are paying for 200$ of it so that leaves only around 200$ for me to pay.
  • yea thts ok, it should hold up vista well. wht card you getting same?
  • I don't know, but I may change my setup. My friend said he might get me a deal on some stuff.
  • Go and save $200 and buy a new CPU, Motherboard, and a PCI-E x16 video card. You'd be much happier.
  • Bash wrote:
    Go and save $200 and buy a new CPU, Motherboard, and a PCI-E x16 video card. You'd be much happier.
    My old 2004 Socket A Amd Athlon 2000+ (1.67ghz.) is going to the death in 2008, but it`s performance is BETTER than, Celeron D, Sempron or Celeron (don`t buy these crappy machines, don`t be defrauded :( ) I`d prefer my actual machine than Celeron D, Sempron or Celeron (an 2007 Celeron D or Sempron hang more than my old 2004 machine!)