'Can't find c: drive...'

edited March 2007 in Hardware
...Abort Retry Ignore Fail'

Is my computer dead? Apart from this error, something makes a clicking sound and the black and white error screen responds no more! Is it dead?

-Alexander Zarach

Comments

• Something makes a clicking sound? Might be your Hard Drive.

Does your BIOS see the Hard Drive?

Nick
  • What exactly is give you this error? A boot floppy? DOS? The BIOS itself?

-Q
  • My hd never clicked at such regular intervals. Could be dead, but is seen in bios.

-Alexander Zarach
  • Q wrote:
    What exactly is give you this error? A boot floppy? DOS? The BIOS itself?

-Q

It occurs during win98 startup-empty floppy/cd drives. The 98 logo is suddenly replaced by the dos? error message.

-Alexander Zarach
  • Sounds like the drive hits something and then goes through some internal process that makes it stop responding.

I'd suggest hitting it with something like SpinRite and seeing if that clears it up.

-Q
  • How do I get spinrite on it? Do I just burn it to disk and boot using a floppy?
  • How do I get spinrite on it? Do I just burn it to disk and boot using a floppy?
    How does it work?
  • IM RN when he signs on AIM, or IM me when I come on AIM.

-Q

PS. It's a disk-checking software, and a cool one at that.
  • I'll be on on Saturday, I'll IM you then, I'm very busy right now.
  • SR is easy to find :|.
  • Speaking of sounds from drives, I cant really hear my laptops drives unless I put my ear REAL close to them, well anyway, I've noticed that if I leave the closet door open at night, any time someone fools around on this forum, I can hear the HDD clicking around. :s I had to get out of my nice warm bed last night and go into the cold harsh reality just to close the door!
  • ka0s wrote:
    Speaking of sounds from drives, I cant really hear my laptops drives unless I put my ear REAL close to them, well anyway, I've noticed that if I leave the closet door open at night, any time someone fools around on this forum, I can hear the HDD clicking around. :s I had to get out of my nice warm bed last night and go into the cold harsh reality just to close the door!

OMG NO! THE EFFORT!!11
  • I know, but I've never had this problem before and have never used SR.
  • SR is fairly easy to use, you just need a floppy disk you don't mind overwriting.

-Q
  • It runs off a CD also.
  • I think it'll take any media that can be booted from.

-Q
  • I remember when my cousins old 233 MHZ computer had the exact error. The harddrive isn't dead yet. It is a sign of it dying. Not sure if spinright will work or not. Its worth a try.
  • Well, make sure the IDE cable is in all the way.
  • After ten years of minor faults, it suddenly gives up. There must be a reason. So, sr runs straight from cd?
  • XpUser wrote:
    I remember when my cousins old 233 MHZ computer had the exact error. The harddrive isn't dead yet. It is a sign of it dying. Not sure if spinright will work or not. Its worth a try.

Dying?!
  • Yes Dying if it makes anynoise its alive. I got an old 6 GB. You plug in in a computer the computer want turn on at all. That means the 6 GB is dead. Your drive isn't dead yet. It makes sounds so its still alive just not accessable. Its on the verge of dying or should i say Its going south.
  • FFS Just buy a new hard disk.
  • XpUser wrote:
    I got an old 6 GB. You plug in in a computer the computer want turn on at all.

That sounds like there's a short in it somewhere.

Anyrate, I'm back on AIM after the reinstall so I can give you it.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    XpUser wrote:
    I got an old 6 GB. You plug in in a computer the computer want turn on at all.

That sounds like there's a short in it somewhere.

Anyrate, I'm back on AIM after the reinstall so I can give you it.

-Q

Q I got the drive from an old Compaq deskpro that i got at a Goodwill store for $15.00. I got the deskpro home hit the power button nothing happened. But i saw a green light inside the case from the back. So i said hummm something is causeing it not to turn on. So i unplug it take cover off unhook harddrive plug it in hit the power it comes on. People say compaqs are crapaqs. Well that deskpro was a PII 300 Mhz. I put a PIII 500 Mhz in it and it aucually posted at 500 MHZ. I put that same PIII 500 Mhz in a Dell Dimension i got a system halted message. Anyway i still got the drive for some reason not sure why i hold on to things like that.
  • XpUser wrote:
    People say compaqs are crapaqs.

Me amongst them, at least the ones I've seen were terrible.
    XpUser wrote:
    Anyway i still got the drive for some reason not sure why i hold on to things like that.

HeHe, I do the same for some strange reason...

-Q

PS. Moved to Help > Hardware
  • Zimmy wrote:
    FFS Just buy a new hard disk.

It's ten years old!
  • I'll IM Q today, perhaps he can help. 'Invalid System Disk' now appears. The 98 boot disk doesn't work, only the sdisk+FreeDos floppy works to remove the message.