Just to make sure I don't blow up another Hard Drive...

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Since a few of you know 2 of my HD crashed last week, I'm getting one in for warranty. Now, should I test the MoBo with a similar HD before I pop my new one in there? I don't wanna fry a 3rd hard drive if I don't have to.

Comments

• I reccomend to you send the mobo to an repair service, just for test it and to be safe that is not problem in the slots of the mobo. :)
  • What's the difference? If they're both the same interface etc. there's little risk. I mean, if one is LVD SCSI and the other isn't I could see trouble, but not if they're both IDE or SATA.

-Q
  • Motherboards don't blow hard drives up. They don't send any voltage to it :|.

If anything I'd have the PSU checked.
  • If anyhting blew the harddrive it was the powersupply. Have your power supply checked.
  • XpUser wrote:
    If anyhting blew the harddrive it was the powersupply. Have your power supply checked.
    err. excuse me for the error on the other post :lol: LOOK AT YOUR POWER SUPPLY, IT CAN BE THE BASE OF THE HD`S BLOWS
  • What exactly ruined the previous two?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    What exactly ruined the previous two?

-Q
    I think, It`s the Power Supply or an virus on that mobo :?.

:!: but this strange thing happened in a PC of a friend, and it formated and installed W98 S.E with problems because it can`t copy the files from the cd and other things on the hardware detection (finally the installation is done :)), but when it booted for first time it dropped blue screens for things about the WINDOWS REGISTRY AND MANY VXD`s (and randomly freeze), but when he send the PC to the repair service, he told to him: THE PC`S MOBO IS BURNED OUT :(

He needs to buy an new PC, but he can`t afford one for now :(

he told me, that problem appeared when he connected and joystick and turned off NORMALY the pc (with the joy connected), when turned on the pc, the problem appeared :shock:

what was the explication on that rare problems???? :?
  • I believe I would test it first without a hard drive. Just put in a
    cheap CD player and boot to a live CD. I don't think I'd risk it
    with the same PSU.

Thump
  • Put a voltimeter to that PSU molex connectors and make sure it's sending out proper voltage.
  • Replace the psu to be on the safe side.
  • Zimmy wrote:
    Put a voltimeter to that PSU molex connectors and make sure it's sending out proper voltage.
    What should that show Zimmy? I may have a friend to test one
    for me if I knew what ranges would be OK, I don't know what the
    proper voltage should be.

Thump
  • If possible, compare this psu's voltage to that of a working computer, or compare it to the voltage on the sticker on the psu.
  • Yeah I replaced the PSU and sent it my 250 GB for warranty. Plus I'm getting a new Mobo and Chip and RAM so I should be fine.
  • viruses ,in the bios cant blow up hard drives. Unless it overrides a few lines of code and asked it to run at speeds at like 20,000 rpm or anyrthing over the limit set. I have heard of instances in which this has occured.
  • AFAIK, that's not possible. A hard drive can't go faster than it's set RPM unless you ripped it open, fiddled the motor controls, and managed to put it back together without contaminating the platter (unless you have a cleanroom, that's unlikely).
  • Zimmy wrote:
    Put a voltimeter to that PSU molex connectors and make sure it's sending out proper voltage.

A diagnostic tool can tell you what voltages your +5 and +12 are pushing out. Try that if you want to run the PC with that risk.
  • Duff wrote:
    AFAIK, that's not possible. A hard drive can't go faster than it's set RPM unless you ripped it open, fiddled the motor controls, and managed to put it back together without contaminating the platter (unless you have a cleanroom, that's unlikely).

I dunno thats wht i heard and i saw the hdd, it was a t a com shop people were making such a big fuss about it.
  • You won't get it get going faster without feeding it extra voltage, which would just kill the circtuit board.
  • Well, I'm running a hard drive right now which is a WD Caviar (same as my old HD), just a lot slower and way less space. So far, no frying problems. Once I get another HD, I'll stick in this thing and sell it...
  • If you have it up and running, download something like HWInfo or Mainboard Monitor and check your voltages.