Windows 3.0 problem

edited March 2007 in Software
I downloaded Windows 3.0 from the download server a few days ago but I'm having trouble using it. After I install Windows 3.0, it doesn't work. It comes up with the logo for 0.1 seconds and then hangs and shows a black screen. I've tried this a thousand times on different versions of MS-DOS too and I get the same result over and over again. The weird thing is that at the end of the Windows 3.0 setup, it has 3 options, Restart Computer, Restart Windows and Back to command prompt. If I use restart Windows and don't restart the computer, it works. Then I restart the computer and it doesn't. Anyone got answers?

Comments

• No strange hardware?

Anyway, in DOS try running "win /?" and check out the options, I think there's one for "Boot logging to BOOTLOG.TXT". Try that and then when it fails, restart and check out the file in edit.

Also, why are you using Windows 3.0 rather then 3.1? I seem to recall 3.0 had some severe problems that were fixed in 3.1.

-Q
  • I'll try that
  • Well I did it and it did the same thing. Show the logo for 0.1 seconds and show a black screen. Anymore ideas?
  • Did you set it to create a boot log and then read that?

-Q
  • try 3.5 and do it. I suggest destroying all partioins on your hard drive and doing a complete FAT format of the entire disk, then try installing it. If it still persists maybe you have a problem with your video card/drivers? MAybe ram can be a culprit too.

cheers,
  • 3.5?

-Q
  • windows 3.5
  • I'm assuming you mean NT Workstation 3.5, which I should warn mdogg is radically different from Windows 3.0

-Q
  • i think if his com can handle 3.0 it can handle this.
  • But does he want it, EG why was he running Windows 3.0 instead of 3.1? I think there are more questions and more detail here we don't know.

-Q
  • Are you emulating this or are you installing this natively?
    Why are you running 3.0 when 3.1 had radical amounts of problems fixed?
  • Q wrote:
    Also, why are you using Windows 3.0 rather then 3.1? I seem to recall 3.0 had some severe problems that were fixed in 3.1.

My question exactly. Anyway, I hope he'll be back again this night and we'll see then.

-Q
  • I'm emulating it in Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 SP1. I have tried Windows NT Workstation 3.51 but not 3.5 or anything else.

I don't want to use Windows 3.1 because I had major problems with 3.1 so I wanted to use 3.0 instead and see what would happen.
  • See if it runs in real mode (win /r). If this does work this way, then you are looking at virtual memory probs.

Did you just copy the files? the files in win30 are compressed with compress v2. You need to either expand them or run setup.
  • Yeah I ran the setup for it (and it's ugly as) but it acts all funny. I'll try running it in real mode when I get the time and submit the results when I do.
  • Well I didn't get around to using Virtual PC, but, I installed it in Bochs and it worked perfectly. So it may be a fault of Virtual PC?
  • Anonymous wrote:
    Well I didn't get around to using Virtual PC, but, I installed it in Bochs and it worked perfectly. So it may be a fault of Virtual PC?
    I think, the fault is in the HARDWARE THAT VPC EMULATES (Video Card, Sound Card, ETC...) for an old OS as 3.0 or 3.11; these hard are unknown and causes system faults, as the described above