The Best OS ever uptil the year 2007

edited March 2007 in Software
So wht do you guys think it is i personally vote vista for its appealing look and stability.

Comments

• I'll say XP for now, but that's only cause I haven't used Vista.
  • Vista, 2000, System 9, 7 or 6, DOS 6.22 or 5, ... I could go ON if I wasn't already late for class...

-Q
  • anantha92 wrote:
    So wht do you guys think it is i personally vote vista for its appealing look and stability.
    I suppose I'd pick XP since Vista didn't come out until after the
    start of 2007 and my jury's still out on Vista anyway.
    Windows 98 SE was the operating system I enjoyed using the
    most though but it's no longer viable..

Thump
  • Mac OS 10.4 ftw!
  • 512DevOS 0.07a. lol.

nah, probably 2000 on the Windows side and Tiger on the Mac side. OpenBSD if I have to pick a *NIX. As for most innovative minor OS, I have to applaud ReactOS. Many leaps in compatibility and stability in the last year.

• Ahh yes, ROS. I was amazed when I got to access their website from ROS 0.3.0 (Maybe 0.3.1) within VMware. I waited SOO long during the 0.2.x series for networking to come about.

-Q
  • DexOS ( http://dex4u.com/ ) is also worth a look, they've got a basic 32-bit kernel, several apps, system calls, a basic GUI, and it's self-sustaining (written in assembly language, they ported FASM to it). They've now moved onto networking, and the project creator got a basic web server running from it. He's supposedly releasing an ISO of it soon. Only supports rtl8193 network cards though.

People say hobby OSes are a waste of time and stupid. I think they're a great way to learn and better your own skills and to challenge yourself. After all, it's a HOBBY os...nobody really thinks they're overtaking Microsoft with their one-man OS.

• 512dev wrote:
    Only supports rtl8193 network cards though.

I think that's what have, or used to have...

Anyway, ROS being able to take advantage of existing applications (When developed enough to support them) make it more interesting to me.

However all people who develop an operating system to the point of usefulness should be commended, if for nothing else then the perseverance.

-Q
  • I would say XP, 2000 and 98SE for PCs
  • I'd say Linux, but that's because I am one who gets it to work in 99% of cases I am in.
  • I had liked but that this Thread is a Poll, but i think the best OS for 2007 is: Windows Vista; XP SP2 and SP3; and the actual of Ubuntu Linux; and finally OS X 10 (Leopard) :)
  • o cpuldnt do a poll for every os lol. I tried but failed.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    o cpuldnt do a poll for every os lol. I tried but failed.
    No Problem :)
  • Mac OS X Tiger for macs :P
    Mac OS 9 for Classic mac os.
    Windows XP/2003 for windows.
    Debian for linux.
  • Linux Debian Sarge!!!!
  • Windows 95C/Windows 2000 Pro
  • Windows 98 Second Edition

Excellent Plug and Play support, and many things were designed for the OS. :)
  • The BSOD pops up a lot on mine, it's true meaning:

BSOD.gif
  • Ahh yes, the haiku error messages! NetPositive on BeOS used them alot.

-Q
  • The true meaning of the BSOD.
  • Evlhxrdood wrote:
    Windows 98 Second Edition

Excellent Plug and Play support, and many things were designed for the OS. :)

Lol, was thath meant to be sarcastic ever since the *cough*faked publicity stunt*cough* ms pulled off at the windows 98 preview.
  • 512dev wrote:
    DexOS ( http://dex4u.com/ ) is also worth a look, they've got a basic 32-bit kernel, several apps, system calls, a basic GUI, and it's self-sustaining (written in assembly language, they ported FASM to it). They've now moved onto networking, and the project creator got a basic web server running from it. He's supposedly releasing an ISO of it soon. Only supports rtl8193 network cards though.

People say hobby OSes are a waste of time and stupid. I think they're a great way to learn and better your own skills and to challenge yourself. After all, it's a HOBBY os...nobody really thinks they're overtaking Microsoft with their one-man OS.

Looks like a nice OS, but while I was looking around I found pictures of their staff, and I happened to notice a slight resemblance between one of their staff members and Steven from That 70's Show. tongue.giflol.gif

Their Staff Member:
    tonymacskf2.png

Steven from That 70's Show:
    mastersonpg6.jpg

lol.gif
    -Kirk
  • 98SE as I used it for years on any machine I went on and didn't have that many problems with it. Then for Mac I'd say Mac OS8 as i used that the most on a friends comp.
  • Any NT version of windows...

Yes I would rather use NT 3.1 than windows 98 SE

ReactOS looks rather pwnage! I can not wait until they get a finale release!

I honestly think they have a real shot at making something worth while.
  • Just realized I never answered the actual question! tongue.gif I would have to say Windows XP has been the most revolutionary operating system of the recent era, but if you were to ask me what the best operating system was, I would have to say Windows Vista. smile.gif

-Kirk
  • I'm still not completly sure how I feel about Vista.

I have used it somewhat, but not enough to form a solid opinion about it.

I do see that many things are improved, and Aero is sexy as hell.

But I also see a Mac Clone, everything about Vista seems like it's cloning OS X...

Initially, the first time I saw Vista, I hated it. I had to turn off a number of anoyances, specifically, UAC. I had to adjust the icons, and set a few things into the classic views.

2000 (and the previous NT versions for that matter) was the only OS I loved from the first minute I saw it.

I hated XP for a long time, and got over that, but it still has a number of things I have to switch to classic before I can tolerate using it. Vista is the same way and more.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Any NT version of windows...

Yes I would rather use NT 3.1 than windows 98 SE

ReactOS looks rather pwnage! I can not wait until they get a finale release!

I honestly think they have a real shot at making something worth while.
    Ah so you would prefer an Operating System which doesn't have CD-rom support out of the box and hardly any driver support over a shell to DOS which can still run FireFox 2 and other applications.
  • lol, firefux
  • i would prefer 98 SE over anything under NT4.
  • Kirk, how the hell can XP be revolutionary? All it did was add some prettyness, driver support, usability stuff and recompile the kernel for performance. :|