STOP ERROR!!!!

edited March 2007 in Software
I do not like Windows Vista. So im going to format and install XP Professional. I put disk in it loads the drivers ETC Like XP doese. Then it shows Starting Windows setup. Then it goese to a stop error screen. Here is the error screen.
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
To your computer.

If this is the first time you

Comments

• Well I've had a similar error with my XP disc while Vista is installed. Anytime I use my XP Home SP1 disc while the Vista bootloader occupies the MBR, it refuses to go to the driver loading screen. I think Vista may still have some conflict with XP.
  • It's an issue with hardware. Stop screens are hardware issues.
  • BOD wrote:
    It's an issue with hardware. Stop screens are hardware issues.

But the Dell XP Pro OEM disk works. But it want activate if i install. Could it be the XP Pro corp from school is a plain XP disk with no service packs? Maybe a conpflict with the 120 GB drive?
  • It probobly has something to do with unsupported hardware. Your Dell computer most likely has some funky Dell-specific (non standard) peice of hardware in it that freaks out a normal Windows XP install.

In short; Use the Dell OEM disk on your Dell OEM computer.
  • Josh wrote:
    It probobly has something to do with unsupported hardware. Your Dell computer most likely has some funky Dell-specific (non standard) peice of hardware in it that freaks out a normal Windows XP install.

In short; Use the Dell OEM disk on your Dell OEM computer.

The dell disk is NOT the one that gives the blue screen. Its the academic windows xp pro from tech school.
  • Err...that's what Josh said: "In short; Use the Dell OEM disk on your Dell OEM computer."

He said TO use the dell disk, not NOT to use it.
  • Ok misunderstanding. ANyway for now im reloading Vista.
  • Why the hell are you reinstalling OSes so frequently? I havent reinstalled vista at all.
  • Because it "overheated" his laptop!

LOL
  • ka0s wrote:
    Why the hell are you reinstalling OSes so frequently? I havent reinstalled vista at all.

You probably don't want to hear my story then...
  • I reinstalled 98SE three times as the system files always became corrupt. XP was reinstalled 12 times! It, too, wouldn't start up. I wouldn't advise reinstalling frequently, though.

EDIT-I wouldn't mind hearing your 'story'-it can't be worse than mine.
  • alexzarach wrote:
    I reinstalled 98SE three times as the system files always became corrupt. XP was reinstalled 12 times! It, too, wouldn't start up. I wouldn't advise reinstalling frequently, though.

EDIT-I wouldn't mind hearing your 'story'-it can't be worse than mine.
    my xp was reinstaled for 8 times, and for the same reason: PROGRAMS THAT CHANGE THE CONFIG. OF THE PC TO THE HELL.. (LIKE FLYAKITE OSX) OR BAD CONFIGS...... IN CASES LIKE THAT, SYSTEM RESTORE ISN`T EFFECTIVE!!! AND THE ONLY WAY IF YOU WANT TO REPAIR YOUR PC IS REINSTALLING :( :(
  • FedeVista wrote:
    (LIKE FLYAKITE OSX)

"Fly a kite OS X" ? That sounds like something I would say back when I hated Macs!

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    FedeVista wrote:
    (LIKE FLYAKITE OSX)

"Fly a kite OS X" ? That sounds like something I would say back when I hated Macs!

-Q
    no! it`s that weird program that changes the look and feel of XP to look as Mac OS X.

it changes sys. files (like Vista Transformation Pack, by Windows X) this change that "FLYAKITE OSX" including system files. and an WEIRD HARM TO MY HD THAT WAS REPAIRED BY INVERTING THE HD CABLES (NOW THE HD IS SLAVE AND THE CD-RW IS MASTER).
  • 2 words. Norton Ghost.
  • I think Fede is refering to http://osx.portraitofakite.com/

• BOD wrote:
    2 words. Norton Ghost.
    NO, BUT ANYWAY, THANKS DUFF :). I already solved that weird problem of: When I use the cd-rom, the hd turns off itself and my pc hangs. by inverting the cables as I mentioned above. :) (it happened in 2006, now my cd-rw and hd are working well :) )
  • 512dev wrote:
    I think Fede is refering to http://osx.portraitofakite.com/

YES This is the piece of shit that I was refering!!! :D
  • That DNS is interesting: portraitofakite?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    That DNS is interesting: portraitofakite?

-Q
    yes, don`t install if if you want to be free of weird problems like that happened to me with your PC :)

install vista transformation pack 4.0 from Windows X, is better than FLYAKITE OSX. :)
  • Wtf is happening with people needing to reinstall so much?

I've reinstalled windows 2000 on this system twice...

The first time was just cause it was an upgrade from NT 4 and I wanted a non-upgraded 2000 install...

The second was a stupid mistake, I went to a site I shouldn't have trusted and got pwned with a trojan... live and learn :P

I've reinstalled XP on the family computer numerous times... mostly cause they were n00bs (I say 'were' because they haven't fucked it up lately, I think they've learned) and constantly go to sites that download trojans and whatever else on there. The current install has been fucked over atleast 10 times and I keep fixing it but it works fine now, a tad slow though... I might reinstall again...

But I've reinstalled XP on my laptop once. Again a fuck up on my part. I'm not sure why or how but I wound up installing windows into C:\XP instead of C:\windows and there was also the old 2000 install that wouldn't boot, I think it gave a missing ntldr error, I tried replacing the ntldr but it still wouldn't boot. I think it gave another error after that... I don't remember...
  • I've had 2 windows installs on my desktop in the past *year*
  • I've had 4 total windows installs on this system since I built it...

the first was NT 4 (lol for a day)

the second was 2000 upgraded from NT4

Then the fresh 2000 install

and now this install
  • This is probably in the high 10s.

Started with 2000, went back and forth with XP about 5 times, once or twice with 2003, then stayed with that for about a year, reinstalled XP, installed Vista, reinstalled Vista, and again, and have installed various flavors of Linux on here, so maybe 21.

-Q
  • I was told that my error had to do with the new NTFS file system. I have to fdisk the drive then format the drive with the XP CD. XP Can't just be installed if the NTFS PARTITION was made with Vista CD. In a way that tells me that Vista is more secure than XP but im haveing problems getting programs to work with Vista. Im just not ready for Vista yet. Even if i have to go and buy an OEM Xp Professional i will.
  • I would hold off on using Vista just to give time for people to release Vista versions of drivers and programs and whatnot... most already have though...
  • The laptop had Vista. I don't like Vista so i tried installing XP
  • BTW he doesnt like Vista "because its insecure since there is no SP1 for it yet"
  • I'll prolly dual-boot Vista and XP when I get my new PC. But for the record of re-installs on this computer alone (rough estimates)

1 Windows 95 (upgraded to 98SE)
    1 Windows 98SE Clean
    4 Windows 2000
    6 Windows XP
    8 Linux