Windows 1.0 under VPC

edited April 2007 in Software
Yeah, I just installed Windows 1.0 from the DL server on VPC 2004 with DOS 6.22. Then when I run it...

screencn6.png

Any thing I have to do to get this running?

Comments

• Try using DOS 3x. ;)
  • Windows 1.0x does not like DOS 6.x. I learned this the hard way too, you have to use DOS 5 or earlier.

-Q
  • VPC is incompatible with certain Windows Ver. and OS; I.E: Certain versions of linux or Win1.x, 2.x and 3.x, NT3.X. sorry.

I got errors like this when I emulated WFW 3.11 :(

(and don`t forget the hardware that VPC emulate, like the video card or the sound card is INCOMPATIBLE with older OS., I.E: Windows 3.11 or NT 3.51 doesn`t compatible with the sound card that VPC emulates :()
  • VPC works fine with OSs, in fact it's better than VMWare
  • Try using DOS 5 and seeing if that works. I doubt that the emulator's the problem, and I know from personal experience that something that changed from DOS 5 to 6 changed too much for Windows 1 to take.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Try using DOS 5 and seeing if that works. I doubt that the emulator's the problem, and I know from personal experience that something that changed from DOS 5 to 6 changed too much for Windows 1 to take.

-Q
    ok, but the thing I mentioned above is the thing that was happened to me when I emulated WFWG 3.11. :) in VPC 2004 SP1 and in the 2007 version
  • I have never had a problem with Windows 3x in VPC.
  • Q wrote:
    Windows 1.0x does not like DOS 6.x. I learned this the hard way too, you have to use DOS 5 or earlier.

-Q

Has anyone found the *real* windows version 1.00?
  • I don't know. I've seen numerous ones that claimed it, but they all turned out to be 1.01.

-Q
  • I know someone who has it but really doesn't want to share it, since it's so rare.
    The real reason that this thing was pulled was because of a major bug. The bug is that when you would do dir /p it would delete everything after the first page. This was a programming error when del was switched with a little code from dir /p. this is the reason why windows 1.00 was pulled.

• Well now it starts, but the mouse doesn't work. And Windows 3.1 refuses to boot up under Windows 3.0. Does the mouse driver have something to do with it?
  • Wipeout wrote:
    And Windows 3.1 refuses to boot up under Windows 3.0.

That doesn't make any sense, are you referring to DOS 3?

If you want to be able to run Windows 3.x and 1.0x at the same time, use DOS 5.

-Q
  • Sorry I meant DOS 5.0. Windows 1.01 boots but the mouse refuses to work and Windows 3.0 just won't boot.
  • Strange about Windows 3.x; as to the mouse, Windows 1.0x will only deal with serial mouses.

-Q
  • You need a mouse driver I guess.
  • Yeah I found out that you can't use mice on VPC with 1.01. I'm still trying to figure out the 3x thing...
  • Anonymous wrote:
    Yeah I found out that you can't use mice on VPC with 1.01. I'm still trying to figure out the 3x thing...
    The things in WFWG 3.11 was:

In the "windows 3.11 setup" that appears in the Program Manager; The Sound card and video card aren`t detected well, the sound works well with the 3.11 drivers that came with the OS, but the MIDI interface don`t work (It emulates an Sound Blaster 16).

And the video card, although I install the proper driver for it (it emulates an S3 Trio 64 or 32), it crashes and don`t boot...

the issues in NT3.51 are only with the sound card (the problem with MIDI interface that was in 3.11)... the video card worked well..... :)
  • And Wipeout, I suggest to you to use QEMU or DOSbox to emulate this OS. 8)

anyway, I recommend DOSbox for all DOS works (including running Win1.0) :)

but if DOSbox is too difficult to use for you, QEMU is the way to go... :)

HomePage of QEMU for d/l it with many fixes applied by an programmer: http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/

HomePage of DosBOX:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

have luck emulating :D
  • FedeVista wrote:
    Anonymous wrote:
    Yeah I found out that you can't use mice on VPC with 1.01. I'm still trying to figure out the 3x thing...

In the "windows 3.11 setup" that appears in the Program Manager; The Sound card and video card aren`t detected well, the sound works well with the 3.11 drivers that came with the OS, but the MIDI interface don`t work (It emulates an Sound Blaster 16).

And the video card, although I install the proper driver for it (it emulates an S3 Trio 64 or 32), it crashes and don`t boot...

the issues in NT3.51 are only with the sound card (the problem with MIDI interface that was in 3.11)... the video card worked well..... :)
    That has to do with you not knowing how to install the drivers. It's not the OSs fault.
  • Thanks Fede, I wish I had the room to install VMWare personally (my favourite virtualizer).
  • Josh wrote:
    FedeVista wrote:
    Anonymous wrote:

That has to do with you not knowing how to install the drivers. It's not the OSs fault.
    I learned how to install the driver in an Internet page that explains it, but i don`t remember what page was.

But i correctly installed the SB16 drivers that came with 3.11 disk, but when it asks to me to define the MIDI-MPU address-ports, the only option I have is: 330 when I select it, it says to me, that MIDI-MPU is not found in it`s address :roll:

and the drivers form Creative for SB16 (the most newer driver for SB16 that can be downloaded via Internet), immediately not install, the program closes with an error, although I restart the emu in DOS, it have the same error, and then closes automatically (in it`s read me, it says that requires to restart to DOS for an correct install)

the sound worked well, too, but without MIDI support (it can`t play MIDI files)
  • When you install video drivers from within Windows 3x, you always use the DOS setup utility, not the Windows one.
  • Josh wrote:
    When you install video drivers from within Windows 3x, you always use the DOS setup utility, not the Windows one.
    in WFWG 3.11 the video it`s not the problem, the MPU-MIDI interface of the emulated SB16 is. :)
  • OK here's the deal. Windows 3.0 doesn't like working with VPC (I had a problem with 3.0 in Virtual PChttp://sakana.ath.cx:81/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4453) but when used Bochs I was able to run it no problem. Try Bochs or something to emulate this Operating System (or maybe you could use 3.1x)[/url]
  • You know what.

I had Windows 1.01 running on DOS 7.1 INSIDE 98 and it never had any problems.

Odd eh? I find so. :-| It however crashed after awhile but I'll assume it was just the bugs since it booted and ran fine before that.
  • Anonymous wrote:
    OK here's the deal. Windows 3.0 doesn't like working with VPC (I had a problem with 3.0 in Virtual PChttp://sakana.ath.cx:81/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4453) but when used Bochs I was able to run it no problem. Try Bochs or something to emulate this Operating System (or maybe you could use 3.1x)[/url]
    OK, but I prefer QEMU, is much easy to use than bochs and seems more stable too..... :)

or I have other easy-to-use alternative: DOSbox. it was the first PC-Emulator that I used. and runned WFWG 3.11, but the problems with sound and video, and Emulation SPEED are more problematic than VPC. :), but the system worked well on it :)
  • Yeah I personally hate Bochs, it's way too annoying to use. I never used QEMU, but VMWare is really good and really stable.
  • Wipeout wrote:
    Yeah I personally hate Bochs, it's way too annoying to use. I never used QEMU, but VMWare is really good and really stable.
    In my pc, QEMU, VPC 2007 and DOSbox, are more stable than VMWare (It hangs to much)
  • My beef with VMware is that it is SO heavy, so to speak. It installs atleast 3 services and would, in past version, default to reserving MASSIVE amounts of RAM for itself.

-Q
  • QEMU with KQEMU is near-enough to native speed anyway.