Strange Problem with Win3.0 MME1.0

edited April 2007 in Software
Whenever I try and boot win3.0 MME in my 486 33MHz 8meg ram set to VGA 640x480 256bit the system seems to load, displays the startup screen and then returns to the prompt screen with a garbled image of the startup screen, and usually I have to cls the screen to get it working again. Any help?

P.S. I tried win /? to see if there were any boot options but it just says invalid switch :P

Comments

• You can to run win /? from the Windows directory, not wherever the batch file is.

-Q
  • edited March 2007
    Tried it from the windows directory, also tried changing graphics to EGA,CGA (god knows why) and a few others, still does it.
  • There any boot logging options?

-Q
  • try 3.1 it may fix your problem. 3.0 is a very notorious os.
  • He might want 3.0 for the MME, as I think 3.1 had them integrated in.

-Q
  • I ahve a copy of all Win 3.x OSes and want to try running 3.0 with MME as I have had 3.0 and all others working fine (but 3.0 gave me this problem as well, but the solution to that hasn't worked for this). As I say Q any attempts to find out what switches there are for it return invlaid switch /?. I don't have any proggies that can diesect exe's and tell me them either :(. I may try it on my laptop (my older one) or try running it on Dos 5 instead of 6.22. Thanks so far
  • I hadn't thought of DOS 5... interesting.

Actually, the switches may have been a 3.1 innovation.

-Q
  • I tihnk they are as none of the previous Windows 1x,2x give any at all If I'm remembering correctly.
  • what exactly is MME?
  • Multimedia Extensions.
  • Basically it is a version of Win3.0 with features tailored for listening to music cd's and graphical functions. As well as improved mpeg video playback. Win 3.1 has all of these intergrated into it but there is one program that isn't included and has only ever been in the mme edition. I just want to run it and see what it's like thats why I'm going to load DOS5 and try it on that.
  • Can you please upload it onto something like Megaupload etc because i would really like to try it.
  • Yeah, I've always had problems running Windows Pre 3.1 under DOS 6. DOS 5 (or 3) is a try. And I would also like to see Win3 MME.
  • edited March 2007
    I have 3 copies. There is one on Josh's place. My other two are stripped down versions, one in English and anotehr in German (unoffical translation). The other two basically don't have all the tandy media stuff and the hyper guide. I could upload a torrent on demoind of all 3 if you want but it would probably be better getting it from Josh's.
  • heh i never had that problem with DOS 6.2.2 and Windows 3.0.

7.jpg
  • Windows 3.x was the actual last actual OS that depended to load off dos. Win95's dos recognized itself as windows 95 and booted straight into it rather than booting itno dos and launching windows off there. Windows 3.1 had all the MME feature integrated
  • Oh I've had 3.0 work on 6.22 but not Win3.0 MME 1.0:P
  • anantha92 wrote:
    Windows 3.x was the actual last actual OS that depended to load off dos. Win95's dos recognized itself as windows 95 and booted straight into it rather than booting itno dos and launching windows off there. Windows 3.1 had all the MME feature integrated
    You can make Windows 3.x do that too...
  • 3.x and 9x ARE NOT OSes!

Just to clear that up.

all versions of 3.x and 9x (including ME) rely on DOS. No matter how much Microsoft tried to hide the underlying DOS, it was still there.

9x and 3.x were just shells to DOS
  • OK to try and get back on topic, I'm having the same problem with my MME. Is it the fact that it's Tandy really make a difference? Cause I know Tandy were not 100% IBM Compatible (about 80%). Plus I've tried it with DOS 5 and 6.22, still nothing.
  • Windows has been an operating system since version 2.x.

It is just that it expects a real mode driver like MS-DOS to be present before it loads. In this way, it is not much different to Novel Netware (which uses DR-DOS in a similar way).

Successive versions of windows, such as 3,1, wfw, 95, 98, SE, just moved more and more of the OS function into protected mode, under control by the DOS32 that lives in various files.

For example, Windows 3.10 supports 32bfa. It essentially reads the hard disk much as a single file, entirely bypassing calls to DOS and the Bios. [One notes OS/2 loads its bios too].

FWIW, i found a link to a german version of Windows 3.0 MME.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    3.x and 9x ARE NOT OSes!

Just to clear that up.

all versions of 3.x and 9x (including ME) rely on DOS. No matter how much Microsoft tried to hide the underlying DOS, it was still there.

9x and 3.x were just shells to DOS

exactly my point.
  • The first 32bit home OS was XP Home :P.
  • 9x wasn't fully 32bit, so it's technically true.
  • It was 16/32 bit. Is XP 32/64 and Vista 64/86?
  • XP and WVI come in both x86 (32 bit) and "x64" (64 bit). XP also came in a "64-Bit Edition" for Itaniums.

-Q
  • 86bit? lol

XP had an itanium version? :|
  • Yes and, predictably, it did rather poorly. They've since dropped almost all support for it.

-Q

PS. That notorious "Hare" had an "88 bit kernel" ::roll:
  • One should recall that 32-bit design is the first real design that gives access to usable size machines, without fancy bit-twiddling or assembler code. Many systems from the mid 1980's have some kind of method to access memory greater than 64K (16-bit).

When a memory manager is loaded into DOS, it becomes a 32-bit OS. Windows, from 3.0 onwards, is a 32 bit OS, with a memory model more designed to cater for that it is unlikely to run into 1 gig of memory.

OS/2 is a 32-bit OS with a large home following. This keeps things like Hartnell and Hobes alive.

Windows 95 is also 32-bit.

I am pretty sure if you look on other platforms, like amiga or apple, you will find earlier examples of 32-bitness.

Windows XP is the first large-scale home OS to run on the intel.

Of course, there were things like 36-bit things too, but these best are left to the history books..