Spurious typesetting?!

QQ
edited March 2007 in Software
Can anyone figure out what provoked this, what they need to know to find that out, and/or how to fix it?

HELP.png

-Q

Comments

• Well for starters, try
    display properties ->
    appearance ->
    advanced ->
    Probably "Message box" from the combo box, and check to see if it has a funny font or italics chosen.
  • Applying it made no difference that I could see, and removing it made equally no difference.

-Q
  • ClearType is disabled, and has been long before this happened.

And I am not going to trust an EXE without a description page.

-Q
  • It's just a run box. It's not on the menu in Vista I don't think but
    you can access it by holding down the Windows key and hitting
    the r key.

Why C:\adfesdf was there by default I have no idea but unless
    you have "hide known extensions" checked it should end in.exe if
    it was an .exe file. Google don't know what C:\adfesdf was but
    asked if I meant C:\adfasdf so I clicked that and it didn't know
    what that was either. It probably does nothing.

Thump
  • I just put that in there for display. The point is all the text is italicized for no known reason. The Windows security screen is the same way, it says "Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to log on.".

-Q
  • Problem is, it says "Please note that the online tuner does not currently work with Windows Vista.", so no good.

-Q
  • no idea try system restore from the disc(better results frmo recovery option than in-os). Restore it from when this prob started to occur.
  • Strange, I've never seen it just italicize for no reason.

The only thing I can think to try is resetting the theme, like switch over to Aero and then back to Classic.

There's some setting somewhere that screwed up.

What were you doing just before you noticed this?
  • One of your system fonts are set to italics. Try

control panel / display settings / appearance

You can set fonts italic there.
  • The more I think about this, the more I think perhaps Windows just mis-read the fonts folder, it used to happen to me a lot.

Try navigating manually to the fonts folder so it'll re-read those files, re-applying your current theme settings and then a good restart.

If there's a TweakUI tool for Vista, download it and try Rebuilding the Fonts folder, that also works.
  • "Display Settings" doesn't appear in my control panel, nor "Apperance".

I was screwing around with uninstalling programs when this happened.

-Q
  • Uh... italics is a type of font, not a different font.
  • I can't restore anything as I've disabled System Restore/System Recovery (I always hated that).

OK setting it to "Windows Vista" style was HORRIBLE! EVERYTHING was italicized: Window titles, taskbar buttons, Start menu entires, desktop icon titles, tool tips... EVERYTHING.

Setting it back to "Windows Classic" returns to my previous state.

Refreshing my font folder similarly does nothing.

-Q
  • BOD wrote:
    Uh... italics is a type of font, not a different font.
    I know, what happened with my system was for some reason, it wouldn't properly read the font files used throughout the UI such as Arial so it would find something else similar to replace it with usually ending up in italics or bold.

Though there was the one time it didn't have anything similar to replace it with and it was all boxes, I think that was after I installed Asian language support on XP.
  • In windows, italics, bold italics, and bold are implemented as different fonts, eg

georgia = georgia
    georgiai = georgia italic
    georgiab = georgia bold
    georgiaz = georgia bold italics.

I suspect that the font indicator for SHELL FONT 2 is pointing to a font file that ends in 'i', that is, an italic font.
  • yea, maybe you italics font file ends with an i and its directing it to that.
  • os2fan2 wrote:
    I suspect that the font indicator for SHELL FONT 2 [...]

So where is that specified? The Registry?

-Q
  • Problem solved, segoeui.ttf and segoeuib.ttf were both mysteriously missing.

-Q