AHHHAHHAHA!!!! The most important discovery of ALL!

QQ
edited March 2007 in Hardware
I finally, totally inadvertently, turned up the power adapter/cable to my now ancient external DVD drive! I can now (Supposedly) write DVDs!

-Q

Comments

• I presume you lost it then. I just use internal drives. Good for you however on this world changing discovery.
  • Yea it disappeared a couple of years ago and I can't/don't like to use internal drives since they require me to haul the machine around to access them, and even so that DVD-"ROM" was horrible: It could barely read CDs!

Anyway, with this I'll be able to remove the internal drive to lighten the PSU's load and prevent trouble.

-Q
  • I got myself one of those nig-rig external cables.

It's basically a PSU, about the size of a laptop one, and a USB>IDE cable.

Was dirt cheap, only $7. Good for copying date for temporary purposes. The IDE plug also flips around to a laptop one too which eliminates the PSU since the USB has enough power for the drive.
  • Wait wait wait, what's this? I get the power supply part, but the USB/IDE part I don't see...

-Q
  • It's like this.

usb-ide-cable.jpg

You can flip it around to use a regular IDE cable which would require the PSU.
  • I could see something like that being useful especially if you're trying to fix old shit and don't want to rip another computer apart to wipe/test a drive.
  • I need one of those things, I got an old HD I pulled from a Compaq that blew. And it won't fit in any other computer I have.
  • They're damn cheap, I think it was like $8 for it and $7 shipping.

It works. Speed isn't an issue since USB is slow to begin with. Works in any IDE hard drive or CD/DVD drive.
  • That looks COOL. Someone was definitely thinking when they came up with that.

-Q
  • Beware of those, I got one to hook up hard drives temporarily and
    it doesn't work. I haven't tried it with CD or DVD though. Have
    you tried it with a hard drive JackTheStripper?

Thump
  • I've got one too... Its a lot crappier, and doesn't work with 2.5" drives or cd-roms, but I wouldn't say theres any risk.

Maybe you just had one bad experience?
  • Tested with a 3.5", 2.5" and CDRW. Plug the drive in first and then plug the USB in.

It doesn't work in Windows 2003 but works fine in XP.