QQ
edited April 2007 in Software
Alright, one of "my" machines has Vista on it, here are the infos:

A64 3000+
512MB of RAM
~160GB HD
GeForce FX 5200
MSI board

Basically the same as BlacII that I use.

Here's the problem, on fully patched Vista, it cannot go to "Sleep". Everything appears normal when doing so, but it wont wake up. On restarting the system, it presents one of those "Start in Safe Mode?" prompts.

-Q

Comments

• Try hibernating, however infuriating it may be. If that doesn't work, there may be a problem with the power settings?
  • Check the BIOS, some of them have a 'Enable sleep' or 'allow acpi sleep' etc etc
  • Vista doesn't have hibernation. That's what I used in XP since it had this problem as well.

-Q
  • I don't know, then.
  • Possibly a problem with sleeping functionality in the BIOS then. If you are saying both XP and Vista have the same problem. You could try Win2000 or even a 9x flavour and see if the same happens. Then you'd know for sure.
  • I desperately don't want to install another system on there.

I'll try checking out the CMOS and see what it says.

-Q
  • Well it could be configed wrong but what I mean is a problem with the BIOS it self. Maybe another revision if there is one sorted the problem out if it indeed turned out to be set right, but did not work correctly on other OS'es.
  • I should check and see if this systemboard has a newer BIOS...

Evidently not.

-Q
  • its definately in your bios settings. Does you mobo even support sleep, because i'd be extremely worried if a athlon 64 mobos couldnt support sleep mode.
  • I set it to the most permissive settings possible and still nothing.

-Q
  • I am having the exact same problem on my new PC, and I was blaming the fact that I built it! tongue.gif Maybe Vista just doesn't go to sleep right... I turned sleep mode off in my power management settings.

-Kirk
  • My laptop falls asleep sometimes when its on batteries and I walk away for a few minutes, and when I do anything, it wakes up without a problem, so its somehow based on your hardware... are you running and old LAN cards? They seem to be a big troublemaker in the whole sleeping world.
  • Maybe something helpful here?

"NeoSmart Technologies has compiled a
    list of hotfixes and patches provided by Microsoft for
    Windows Vista that address a large number of issues related to
    waking/resuming a Vista PC (both x86 and x64) from sleep or
    hibernation. Sleep-related disorders have plagued Vista since its
    release, though they were not present in earlier betas. Most of
    these fixes are due to be included in Windows Vista SP1
  • This machine has a network on the systemboard. Also, both are fully updated per WU.

-Q
  • Strange.

Seems you're having loads of fun with Vista, Q lol

So, it did this with XP too?

So I am understanding correctly, you can go into sleep mode, but not out of it?

I know some/most computers that go into sleep mode can only be awaken using the power button.

Maybe a lame suggestion, but I dunno what else to try.

P.S. Vista doesn't have hibernation?
  • there are so called hibernation widgets, they probably are just sleep ones. Anyway if it did the same to XP then it s your hardware. What make and model is your mobo?
  • ka0s wrote:
    My laptop falls asleep sometimes when its on batteries and I walk away for a few minutes, and when I do anything, it wakes up without a problem, so its somehow based on your hardware... are you running and old LAN cards? They seem to be a big troublemaker in the whole sleeping world.
    I don't, mine is motherboard integrated on a very new DFI motherboard. tongue.gif

-Kirk
  • I set the CMOS to "wake on keypress" and "any" key. When it goes to "sleep", it actually shuts down (EG. All fans, etc stop). When you hit the power button, it starts up and Windows then displays the "Windows shutdown incorrectly, do you want to start in Safe Mode?" prompt.

XP had the same problem, so I set it to go into hibernation instead. This has been removed from Vista as an option, instead there's "hybrid sleep" (Or something), where it goes to sleep for x hours, and THEN hibernates. Problem is, if you can't go to sleep to begin with...

The systemboard is an MSI A64 (Don't remember the model # off the top of my head). It has the exact same systemboard as the one I use, which I just sent to sleep and woke up while typing this (After I finished the above paragraph), with NO trouble at all.

-Q
  • That sounds like S3 standby.

See if there's an option to change it to S1.
  • I never knew exactly what the levels meant. I'll go do that now...

-Q
  • (Double post I know, but...)

I FIXED IT! That "S1" suggestion was it. Now it goes to sleep AND wakes up. The only problem is that the HD light stays on continuously, but I can easily put up with that.

-Q
  • yea, i was going to suggest that, after playing with the bios and finding that. hooray.
  • OK, an additional question: Is there a reason that "Sleep" doesn't turn the fans off? All it does is blank the screen and maybe turn off the hard disks.

-Q
  • There should be an option in the BIOS to turn off the fans, but any fans that are plugged directly into the power supply will obviously not be turned off, only ones that are plugged into the motherboard. Myself, when I tried that on my old desktop, I found that the heatsink got PRETTY WARM when the fan wasnt on and it was in sleep mode, and sometimes the fan didnt start back up when the computer woke up, which was definitely not a good thing.
  • OK. Well, knowing the cooling in that case (You remember it...), I'll just leave them as it is.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Vista doesn't have hibernation. That's what I used in XP since it had this problem as well.

-Q
    That acually depends. Before I upgraded it had both sleep and hibernation. But with ACPI 3.0 (My Athlon64 does) it has a hybrid version of "sleep/hibernation" to "provide the best of both."
  • I miss being able to explicitly force hibernation in preference to sleep or hybrid.

-Q