Project nostalgia

edited March 2007 in Software
Well, I somehow have one old machine in the house. At first I put Linux on it, ran like ass, fucked with it, found no real use and then decided to throw OS\2 on it.

Specs of the old ass system -

Pentium II 266MHz
192MB SDR 66MHz
2x 1.5GB HDs
1x 3GB HD
ATI Rage 4MB AGP

the OS\2 I'm using was the Blue Spine with the App Sampler, driver CD, an bonus pack. It has built in Win16 support and I guess the early Win32s.

At the moment I'm writing the floppies to boot. The only three floppies I could find were a Kingston driver disk, soundblaster disk, and a Windows 3.11 disk #8 disk.

More info to be posted on this project. I havn't used OS\2 in years so this experiment should be fun. I wanted to origionally install this on my old laptop but found it a challenge since it had no CD-ROM drive and didn't want to spend $8 on a PCMCIA NIC.

PS. It's now hanging at a big OS\2 graphical logo (boot screen I think) for the past 5 minutes with the floppy LED on. $10 says it's the shitty floppies.

Comments

• So, you return to the your original namesake!

-Q
  • I couldn't get rid of GRUB until I did a fixmbr and then I did a fixboot by mistake and it kept looking for ntldr. That took over an hour to fix since I had to keep loading those damn floppies over and over.

Finally done installing. Just need some proper drivers. It detects no sound, detects my video as a 1MB and doesn't detect my NIC.
  • What is "Blue Spine" ?

-Q
  • Version that came with Windows/DOS app support.

OK, so now I rebooted and my monitor running at 32KHz, this is interesting. It's out of range so I need to do something about this.
  • LOL I've only run OS/2 Warp 4 on a VM, seemes to be an ok os but I never ran any stuff for it. Might try dual booting it some time.
  • As an interesting question... where does one go about downloading an OS\2 boot disk? tongue.gif I looked for one awhile back and never found one.

-Kirk
  • You can make them using the CD.
  • You can make them using the CD.
    Ahh! Next time I'm bored, maybe I'll try that. smile.gif I've wanted to try OS\2 for awhile. tongue.gif

-Kirk
  • Can't get the network to run now for some reason. The driver loads up apon bootup and finds one NIC but can't get anything else to work as far as that.