Run classic apps on a mac osx without classic

edited April 2007 in Software
My mac doesn't have classic. How can I run classic apps on it/can I get 'classic'?

Comments

• Install 9.x and boot into it when you need to. You need 9.1 or higher installed to use Classic in OS X.

• So... I just get the 9.1 files?
  • Pretty much, I have a copy if you need.

• Online? If so, can I have a link to it?
  • Wait, now I'm curious, do you just copy a System Folder to the drive root and run Startup Disk?

-Q
  • Actually, you're probably gonna have to get OS 9 off of a torrent or Duff's server, I only have it on this DVD as the folders, not an ISO. Probably wont work if it's online as you'd need to "bless" it again.

• My Mac had to have osx reinstalled. Beforehand, when I ran a classic app, classic started up in a small window. I remember seeing a file called 'classic' on the HDD.
  • You *can* copy a system folder and boot off of it, it just needs to be 'blessed', aka, the system needs to mark it as a system folder. I don't exactly know how to do that.

• All you need is the system folder from OS9. Then you go into the System Prefs. and click Classic under the "System" Category and then it will search for a OS9 system folder and then you can select the one it finds and you're all set.

Nick
  • Cool! That's "Classic"; I loved how easy it was to set disks bootable under the old System Software.

-Q
  • Hmm, there HAS to be something better then shareware...

-Q
  • Ahahaha, thats not a good torrent app. I think Azureus is for MacOSX. If it is get it as soon as you can. It's a great client.
  • I used "Transmission", it's free and REALLY small.

-Q
  • I've given up on torrents. Can I use 7.6? I found that online from an abandonware site.
  • Use tomato torrent. anyway, i dont think that would work if you wanted to run a program that was like ver 8.6 min.
  • Run ms excel (old version) on 7.6?
  • Now downloading at 1mb/sec.
  • In other words, you have to run the installer off the CD, or do some modification of the System Folder so it doesn't think it's on the CD anymore.

-Q
  • Irony again - I need os 9.1 for classic, but 9.1 requires classic to install! What now?
  • I've copied it to disk and started classic, but it freezes each time with the blue loading bar just 1mm long. Any advice? (ignore my previous post.)
  • Copied it to disk? As in a CD?

Start the machine with it and install it, then restart into System 9 or 10 and use "Startup disk".

-Q
  • I copied it to cd and selected the cd's system file in classic configuration.

Then, after failing, I started my Mac, holding down 'c', but it couldn't boot into the cd. It booted into os x normally, instead.
  • Sorry to start my old thread again, but I really need the answer. My mac won't boot from the cd. HELP.
  • Copy System, Finder and Mac OS ROM to a folder on the hard disk and run Startup Disk.

-Q
  • Well, I have it mounted on my system as so:

Picture%201.png

I know I'm very difficult, but I'm used to running Windows. Can anyone PM, IM or YIM me step-by-step instructions?
  • Copy "System" "Finder" and "Mac OS ROM" from System Folder to a new folder on the hard disk in the system and then open Startup Disk from the system control panel.

-Q