Advanced Routing

edited March 2007 in Software
I need some advice on a little project I've been pursuing for some time now. I've been wanting to get some of my older PCs in the basement online, without running an ethernet cable. Now the logical way to do this to me, is a wireless bridge of some sort. So, what I am trying to do, is take my current web server, and make it bridge the gap between two "Lans". For an example of what I mean, see this diagram. It's not my network, but close enough.

gif1lw5.gif

So, the router goes to the internet. I want to be able to have all PCs on that diagram access each other, and access the internet, and I want the server to still be able to be a web server, and be able to have full accessibility FROM the internet, as well as TO the internet.

I was told at one point that stuff to this extent can be done with Linux. So, if someone has any advice or would be able to help me in accomplishing this, please reply. If you have any other questions about what I'm asking.. let me know.

I'm still open to suggestions if this isn't a reasonable way. I am aware of running cable and of "ethernet over power". I'm willing to go there next if you think this linux bridge thing is nearly impossible to accomplish. I just thought I'd get a second opinion.

-Kirk

Comments

• It can be done on any server capable os.

alternatively if you have a second router, you can connect it to the first, and just set it up as a 'daisy chain ' (wds).
  • adragons wrote:
    It can be done on any server capable os.

alternatively if you have a second router, you can connect it to the first, and just set it up as a 'daisy chain ' (wds).
    Your daisy chain theory doesn't work on my cheap routers. I've had people in VNC try that already... unless you want to give it a shot. Can you recommend some examples of programs that can be used for this purpose?

-Kirk
  • See, the reason that won't work right is because I want both LANs to be able to fully access each other as though they were connected via a cable. Not just be able to go online.

-Kirk
  • you need to configure both your NICs to a static ip

Then you need to use the 'route add' command (cmd prompt). I can't remember the syntax right now. But that should do it.

Sorry I'm not more specific. but it's been a long while since i had to do that. I'm sure you can google the specifics of 'route add'
  • Can't you just put up an access point downstairs and hook that to a switch?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Can't you just put up an access point downstairs and hook that to a switch?

-Q
    That would work great, if I had a WAP. tongue.gif I have one sitting here that my neighbor borrowed me, but he can't find the power adapter. squiggly.gif

-Kirk
  • What's the server running? I know XP can "Bridge connections", which might work if you set the IP of the svr as the default gateway on the other machines on its part of the network.

-Q
  • Kirk: $5 universal adapters are your friend.

I don't know if bridging connections would work or not, it might.
  • Yeah, it may... I'll just consider this closed for now, and get a WAP when I get around to getting to a store. tongue.gif

-Kirk
  • You could install 2k server and install the routing/remote access service, that'd do the trick.

What router do you have?
  • BOD wrote:
    You could install 2k server and install the routing/remote access service, that'd do the trick.

What router do you have?
    The router I am trying to connect to is a WRT54G. I also have a Belkin 54G router, but I don't see how that cheapy thing could help, and I'm not setting it up in place of the WRT, or else my games tend to lag from the (omg) 16 connections. tongue.gif Don't laugh, it happens on that router, that's why I replaced it. But if I can use the Belkin 54G as a WAP for downstairs and somehow bridge the two routers, I'm open to that, but I think CoreDuo tried to help me with that at one point, and we didn't have much success.

-Kirk
  • I don't see why... just connect everything to the switched ports and disable all autonomy on the Belkin.

-Q

PS. However, the wireless point I'm none to sure about, that will require especial configuration.
  • Q wrote:
    I don't see why... just connect everything to the switched ports and disable all autonomy on the Belkin.

-Q

PS. However, the wireless point I'm none to sure about, that will require especial configuration.
    Yes, the Belkin can be easily made a switch, but not a WAP.

-Kirk
  • That's annoying. Can you force it to sit on the same network as the router? EG. Set it to static IP and specify the real router as its default gateway? You'd also have to give the two different routers different DHCP pools.

-Q
  • Kirk, what you probably need to do is setup NAT routing with iptables. Not overly difficult, and there are GUI utilities that aid in this. But what you need though is: one IP for the wireless network, and either setup a DHCP server on that computer with the wireless card, or have a DHCP server on that end of the network. All it really does is:

Computer 1 wants data from 55.66.77.88
    Computer 1 notices that 192.168.1.10 (assuming thats your server) is a gateway
    Computer 1 decides to request data through that machine
    Server routes data over the wireless connection to the access point
    Data gets to 55.66.77.88
    Data comes back from 55.66.77.88
    Server sends data back to Computer 1
    Computer 1 is happy