please help me my win me won't detect any hardware

edited April 2007 in Software
during setup my windows me goes fine until hardware dectection it gets to 7% then says it's done but after setup i have no cd-roms 640x480 16 colour resolution it should be 800x600 16bit and 2 cd-rom drives

Comments

• If you have internet, download Unknown Device Identifier for free at http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html . Search on google for the listed drivers and download from the necessary sites. This is a very long method, but I had the same problem in 98 and did this, it worked.
  • but i also have 98se and it detects all drivers fine
  • Windows ME is not supported be lots of hardware and programs-I suspect yours must be unsupported. 98SE is more supported then ME.
  • the program didnt help me because the graphics drivers are cirrus logic 542x and cirrus logic web site says that they don't make graphics cards but mine is a cirrus logic
  • that was a long time ago, CL dropped video cards when teh 3D era came about
  • would i be able to use the 98se drivers because they work with my computer
  • Wait, if they work, aren't you using them now?

-Q
  • well i meant when i had 98se on the computer they worked i just wanted to try me but i wouldnt detect the graphics card so i was wondering if the 98se ones would work on me
  • I've often done things like that (The other favorite is 2000 drivers on XP). If it doesn't work, there's usually safemode.

-Q
  • i would probably be better with 98se anyway because from what ive seen me is SLOW
  • ME has higher overhead, 98 runs all the same software ME does so no huge benefit of one over the other imo
  • ME has system restore. I find it useful in Vista sometimes.
  • Unfortunately the system restore in me isn't nearly as well polished as it is in Vista but it is indeed a feature that 98 lacks...good point
  • That was the most significant difference I saw regularly. That and the unbelievably annoying installation video they showed.

-Q
  • Back in the day hardly anyone used it or even knew anything much about it. I hardly used it in XP. It was just a first step into that "time machine" section ms had just ventured into.