Mac Apple II CX general questions

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Well the title is
Ask about a piece of hardware that's acting up, or needs some expert help.

And I know a whole lot of nothing about this computer. One of my devs brought this into the office from the dump!!!

It's labelled as a Macintosh II cx, has a keyboard, mouse, external SCSI CD drive, interal and external SCSI HD's and what looks like nice external speakers. I opened it up and I assume that I'm looking at a video card in a mac bus slot that has a connector that looks sorta like a joystick port (Is this analogue? TTL?) anyhow, we can't fire it up as we have no monitor at the moment.

IS there some kind of adapter for a standard PC VGA 15 pin connector?

It's fully populated with SIMMS (you know I have more I keep all my junk)

What release of OS was common on this unit?

We often take on orphan style projects just to break up the coders monotony that can set in so any advice would be helpful. It might be fun seeing some of our standalone java apps working on a dinosaur like this if it's possible...

Our last project was resurrecting an old Radio Shack TRS 80 unit and it worked so here's hoping...

Is a picture needed for clarification?

Comments

• Get MacTracker and see what it says 1st off, that'll answer most questions. A picture of the card on the board and the output/backplane would aid us in determining its function.

-Q

PS. It's "Apple Mac(intosh) IIcx".
  • Whatever it's called it's a funny computer.

I downloaded the mactracker (thank you) I shall post on the findings tomorrow and upload the pics. I must say it visually LOOKS really good with not even a dust bunny in sight.

I have lots of SCSI disks around so i'm hoping it was tossed because of disk problems.

The motherboard reminds me of very early sun systems for some reason.

No macheads in our shop so this is a learning curve for sure.

The TRS 80 prints a page on a dot matrix printer everytime the toilet is flushed. It's a source of tremendous amusement to the build team for some reason. I wonder what they will do with this.
  • What's it print, "You better've washed your hands" ?!

All my old Macs are SE(/30)s, and I can't for the life of me get LocalTalk to work between them.

-Q