Sony Vaio PCG-F808K Driver problem

edited April 2007 in Hardware
As my laptop died, I found another dead laptop today-this one I managed to bring back to life. The Windows 2000 Vaio recovery disks were faulty, so I had to put Windows 98SE on it. I got the drivers package from sony, but I can't install the drivers-they were .zip files with countless .inf files in them. How do I install them, as Control Panel claims they don't hold any setup info. How do I install the drivers? Does anyone have the drives as .exe files? I don't know the specs, but can try to find them out if need be.

Comments

• If they're 2000 drivers, I suspect you're not going to be able to install them in 98.

-Q
  • They're for 9x, me, NT, 2000.
  • There have to be separate drivers for the 9x's and the NTs

-Q
  • How do I find my drivers if Lavalys Everest Home Edition and unknown device identifier fail?
  • I know it's really annoying sometimes. They don't organise the drivers in 9x and NT. They just put a whole file full of them. If i am not mistaken the "XXX.SYS" files are for NT and 9x might have another file extension. Im not sure, but give it a go anyway.
  • In device manager for say your gfz card if it's only set to standard display, right click and properties. Driver tab then choose to change the driver. Choose the option to search automatically for driver but (if i'm remembering right) there should be an option to choose where you want to look specifiaclly in a folder.

Broswe to your extracted driver folder and then click yes(ok or search whatever it was). If the correct drivers are there, they'll be found and installed. If not then you've been ripped like so many other's (my self included) when they get drivers for their laptops.
  • That didn't work. So, I stayed up all night, until 3AM, trying to repair the disks. Eventually, it worked. I deleted the partitions in command prompt, and created new ones, and installed Vaio Windows 2000-including all the drivers. In other words, I got 2000 and the drivers back.
  • That's good to hear.
  • It was hard, and took 4 1/2 hours afterwards.
  • But now you have a hopefully better, working laptop. (?)

-Q
  • The 2 usb ports are dead. I have wireless internet, at least.
  • Why dont the USB ports work? You installed it using the drivers "specifically" for your vaio didn't you?
  • Probably hardware, considering it was thrown out.

-Q
  • USB/Firewire add in PC cards are cheap, there's always a way around anything
  • PCMIA cards.
  • 's t the driver that's at fault. 1 Port is very loose and the other is beyond repair. I was quoted 225 pounds to repair the first.
  • Bah open the case and check the solder points and touch them up if your that bothered. I might do that with my cousins as he's snapped his USB port off and has to use a pcmcia add-on:P.
  • I'm not "that bothered".
  • lol anyway glad to see you got it working now.
  • Not exactly working like a normal laptop, but will do.
  • Don't waste time with those "repair centers". Their solution is probably to change the whole motherboard or the usb port connection. It may be just a bad joint. Solder the bad looking joints and tell us the results.
  • All the joints are bent, broken, VERY dirty and look beyond repair.
  • If, as you say, you're not "that bothered, you have a new laptop that you can use (if you wish) to better effect repairs of your "Tiny".

-Q
  • I'm not bothered. It may be annoying when people say this, but:

End of thread