High Speed Access for WinWorld User Uploads

edited April 2007 in News & Announcements
I will be creating an FTP for WinWorld user uploads on my server. This is the server where WinWorld downloads are stored.

A few rules will come along with this:

1) No Warez. This is an absoulete policy we will have ZERO TOLERANCE with. Any warez being uploaded will be deleted and the IP will be firewall blocked.

2) No deletions. This is up to my discretion. I will SSH in and delete files that I see as illegal copyrighted material.

3) Images/Short Homemade Videos are OK for sharing on WinWorld, but try and use ImageShack/TinyPic/YouTube if you can. There will be a seperate directory for this.

4) There will be NO SSH access via these UNIX accounts, so don't try.

You will loose if abused. If you upload items like, virtual hard disks for Virtual PC, please do not contain any copyrighted files on that. Those items will be inspected and deleted.

Anyone abusing this, will be firewall blocked by IP or netrange, whatever I see fit. With those bans, come bans for WinWorld Downloads.

This should be up in a day or 2.

Comments

• Keep in mind what happened last time someone (Fish) did this.

-Q
  • Yea, it ended up being a warez FTP.
  • sounds great.

If one is uncertain weather a certain application counts as accepted abandonware or if it counts as warez, it's possible to ask in here beforehand? (all cases are not that clear-cut I mean, and you don't want to get banned)
  • A rule of thumb is all software designed for Windows 3.1 that was made at the time period is accepted although there are a few exceptions.
  • DOS, NT < 4 and Windows < 95 should be almost 99% abandoned, however the former should be given the most attention as there are still several utilities (EG. SpinRite) that are DOS based and definitely NOT abandoned.

-Q
  • Is NT4 still supported?
  • no it's EOL and past extended support
  • Is "EOL/End of life" the final category for software it's made? EG. Is everything from Windows 1.01 and DOS 1.1 on up to [...] (NT 4 in this case) in that?

-Q
  • Here's where I find if Microsoft's products are in the EOL stage of their lifecycle.

Product Support Lifecycle

I go by the end of Service Pack support date or noted dates if available in regards to End of Life determinations.
  • It's a tough call and that's because in the end, all this software is still owned by the corporation in question. For me, software that is unsupported in releases of patches and claimed EOL with no further support whatsoever is within my personal cut off line. The fact that company in question won't even take a paid support call on the product puts it in my personal abandonware category.

There's is also a realistic point.... how useful is the software in question for conducting business.... not very in this era of a zillion exploits and attacks.....

for me the 9x triplets and NT up to 4 are clearly in this category. Office up to 97.

Where are you comfortable?
  • It's a gray area for me in many ways, however I tend to start with very clearly defined areas and work towards the center. EG. A product that's still being actively advertised and sold in the mainstream by the company that made it is unequivocally conclusive.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    It's a gray area for me in many ways, however I tend to start with very clearly defined areas and work towards the center. EG. A product that's still being actively advertised and sold in the mainstream by the company that made it is unequivocally conclusive.

-Q
    Right, but for products not being sold (ie- Windows 2000) but still being supported, I still consider active and not abandoned.
  • I just used that as an example of that side of the spectrum.

Another thing I try and take into account is the use of it, even if not very strongly supported: EG. Consider how many people still use 2000 even if it is two major versions (XP and WVI) out.

-Q
  • There is always a fine line between things in life,especially in the world of software.
  • I know, it's a rather large gray area without specifics. I try and do it on a per-app basis.

-Q
  • Looks like vista's extended support will end officially in 2017. Whislt Xp's will end in 2014.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file