Just got Windows NT Workstation 3.1 installed in VIrtual PC

edited April 2007 in Software
It is installed using a moderm processor.

Comments

• I'm fairly sure many of us have. What're the details?

-Q
  • I modified the setup.inf and initial.inf files merging some info from the patch included with the server versions of nt with a patch I found.
  • If I can compress the modified files I can integrate them into setup
  • Sorry, it wasn't you english or anything but i didn't get that. Why can't you just install it plainy, it is bound to work under virtual pc anyway.
  • GUI setup will say it doesn't work with the current processor. So you are forced to modify Initial.inf and Setup.inf if you want to use Windows NT 3.1 on modern pc.
  • Since Virtual PC virtualizes the host processor, Windows NT setup thinks your processor is too new.
  • Virtual PC does NOT virtualize the host processor, it's left native
  • edited April 2007
    What are you talking about! Virtual pc does virtualize the host processor. If not, what processor does it emulate?
  • UglynGrey wrote:
    Virtual PC does NOT virtualize the host processor, it's left native

So virtual pc virtualizes the host processor?
  • Visrtual PC does nothing to the processor, it's seen by the guest OS "as it is".

It does no processor emulation whasoever....
  • I think that's the problem, VPC doesn't and so Windows Setup sees the A64, or whatever, can't tell what it is and so blocks installation to prevent you from installing Windows on a processor that may not support it, thus preventing a potentially unusable system.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    I think that's the problem, VPC doesn't and so Windows Setup sees the A64, or whatever, can't tell what it is and so blocks installation to prevent you from installing Windows on a processor that may not support it, thus preventing a potentially unusable system.

-Q
    My installation of Windows nt workstation 3.1 not 3.51 works fine.
    You can install nt 3.51 fine without modification, but you have to modify the setup files to install nt 3.1 or 3.50 on modern pc's or in virtual pc.

I have 1.6 GHz celeron M processor.
  • Actually Windows 3.51 has problems with the ATAPI and ATDISK drivers that I describe work arounds for in another post. Old OS's working on modern (even emulated) hardware will always have some glitching that needs work arounds

So describe in detail your workaround and where you researched it please for the future readers
  • I've installed it fine on my VPC. I'm using an Athlon 64 3500+ that is a very mdoern proc.