Choice of encoding technology and why

edited April 2007 in Software
I've been doing a hell of a pile of encoding lately of video and audio streams from sources and media that range from Beta and Super VHS to normal VHS and even capturing from film and eight track.

I'm curious as to what everyone is using when they do encoding and why. For example, I've been ripping my CD's using Microsoft codecs instead of to MP3's because I think they actually sound better and are starting to become widely supported on playback devices.

When I compress a TV show, I usually use Divx if the original images are clear and nice. But compressing crappy old tapes (beta for example) I usually tend to choose something not so compressed (MPEG for example) because I find they look better on playback since the original wasn't so hot. But of course they are relatively large.

Thoughts?

Comments

• sky+ box > mpeg in nero, then I get rid of teh adverts, and shit, then use auto gk to xviid it.

Audio I MP3 it with eac.
  • "Sky + box > Nero in MPEG" ? Is that British? I'm sorry, but I absolutely cannot parse it beyond something is better then Nero.

-Q
  • It's a digital sattelite reciever. The "+" service is the ???GB HD to record programs on to.
  • Nerovision express using mpeg format :P.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_plus
  • I don't really do any video encoding, I do have a tool called Bink and Smacker that I use to convert video.

For music, I encode every thing at 320 Kbps MP3 with the LAME MP3 codec
  • Call me elitist/retarded, but I encode my music as FLAC :|
  • Audio: FLAC
    Video: DVD SP-like quality

Depends on what I'm doing however.
  • Audio: Mp3

Video: DivX (If i ever convert video that is)
  • Audio-wav
    Video-Divx
  • I would encode mine as FLAC, but that's just pointless, since my stuff is like 40GB as it is, in FLAC it would be insane, and secondly it's all on CD anyway.
  • I like lossless compression for live stuff, but I when i made the post I thinking more about portable media. Who the hell has a portable flac player?
  • FLAC on portable media players would kinda stupid, it uses far more CPU power than MP3 to decode, so your battery life isn't gonna last long.
  • There are PSP applications that can allow you to listen to FLAC. I find it pointless anyway. Lossless codecs are mainly if you are a bass enthusiast.
  • edited April 2007
    Depends. My capture card is a USB one. It's a bit retarded as it will only allow me to encode about 30mins in MPEG2 at 720x576 PAL at about 6500Kbps bitrate. With PCM 16bit 44100hz audio. Not a problem as I have old cartoon series that are about 25mins an ep:P (Infact am going to be doing some Ring Raiders episodes in a few mins).

Anyway I use PVR-Plus which came with my capture card, during encoding. I then re-encode with DVDtoDivX as XviD avi's in MP3 audio 128 to 192kbps. Then I trim with Virtual Dub V1.6.x.

I am wondering if it is my card going out of synch or the proggie is crap.

For mp3 I use EasyCD-DA V8 I think it was @ 320Kbps usually. I have several other things for ripping and encoding but there usually for special formats that I very rarely use. Ohh I use Riva FLV converter to make FLV files.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    Lossless codecs are mainly if you are a bass enthusiast.

Eh?
  • Mp3 removes all aound the human ear cannot hear. This removes the really deep and bassy sound. I think mp3 stops at around 21 hertz and that isn't very low.
  • Audio: OGG or FLAC
    Video: Haven't encoded alot of video, since I rarely use the camera.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    Mp3 removes all aound the human ear cannot hear. This removes the really deep and bassy sound. I think mp3 stops at around 21 hertz and that isn't very low.

Then your statement still makes no sense :|.

The human ear can't hear below 20Hz, so why use lossless if you can't hear it?

Unless you're that anal about audio quality about your shit, or spend a fortune on audio equipment and speakers to listen to stuff, in which case you'd just listen to CDs anyway.
  • Audio: MP3
    Video: XViD

• I see a lot of people like Xvid.... why is that? I can't see an advantage over Divx and a lot less support on real hardware (home DVD players, car DVD plaers) for it.
  • Wel you would convert your avi's to an mpeg VOB format for a dvd player anyway. XviD in my experiance offers a greater level of quality at similar bit rates to DivX but doesn't suffer from most compression artifacts that can happen. I personally used DivX for years until around DivX 6 came about.
    Video: WMV or MPEG (wmv is better for me, it's size is minor than MPEG ; )
    Video: WMV
  • They've done tests, I don't feel like digging up the site now, but I do recall reading about a series of tests this audiophile did.

The basic conclusion was that the average person can not tell any difference between a 320 Kbps MP3 and a CD. They could tell a difference using 128 Kbps and found that 256 Kbps and 320 Kbps were almost indistinguishable depending on the song.

The conclusion was that VBR was the ideal for quality and file size.
  • VBR is only better because it uses high bitrates only when needed.

And yeah, depending on the persons hearing/equipmen, over 256 is usually pointless.