Short Downtime

edited May 2010 in News & Announcements
I dont feel like making these stupid posts with explanations any time this place disappears -- but heres the story.

Stitch has been trying to get the SQL fixed around this place... specifically the extra few pages at the end of Random Crap that are missing threads.
[6:22pm] <@stitch&gt; Ka0s|work: i got a list of 46 topics
[6:22pm] <@stitch&gt; that the data on them is inconcistent in some way
[6:22pm] <@stitch&gt; and it's fucking up random crap's pagination
[6:22pm] <@stitch&gt; the query i pasted was supposed to give me a bit more insight on how they are inconcistent
[6:22pm] <@stitch&gt; that obviously failed
[6:23pm] <@stitch&gt; as they are not even listed inside the random crap forum anyway

So apparently the query ran caused mysql to lock up for about an hour.

Comments

• Noticed it this evening..

Anyway, it was for a good reason :)

Hope that the database can finally get fixed...
  • I was kinda wondering what the heck went on.

Glad to see it's back.
  • Ka0s wrote:
    I dont feel like making these stupid posts with explanations any time this place disappears -- but heres the story.

Stitch has been trying to get the SQL fixed around this place... specifically the extra few pages at the end of Random Crap that are missing threads.
    [6:22pm] <stitch> Ka0s|work: i got a list of 46 topics
    [6:22pm] <stitch> that the data on them is inconcistent in some way
    [6:22pm] <stitch> and it's fucking up random crap's pagination
    [6:22pm] <stitch> the query i pasted was supposed to give me a bit more insight on how they are inconcistent
    [6:22pm] <stitch> that obviously failed
    [6:23pm] <stitch> as they are not even listed inside the random crap forum anyway

So apparently the query ran caused mysql to lock up for about an hour.

so the question is, i know which topics they ARE, just nothing more about them to be able to restore them, so the question is now, with duff and tim having the final say really, do we just want to leave these or delete them.

deleting them should make random crap sane again. removing them will keep things the way they are. quite honestly, you can't even see these anyway, and it has been that way since ~2007 when this first started.
  • Could you put some of the content in the admin section so we can decide what to do with it?
  • Well, mr. stitch, I suggest you to delete them...

Because well, let's face it: Some posts there aren't worth shit :|
  • random crap is now fixed.
  • Thank you!

-Q
  • bump.jpg

So I'm not sure how or why it happened... but this morning I saw that my IP had changed... Of course that meant WinBoards was down.... Not sure how long for, but it appears to have been about 12 hours (not that anyone missed much).

Anywho... I made a minor change... instead of winboards.net using my IP address as an A record... Now we use ka0s.dyndns.org as a CNAME, since that DNS updates automatically with my router.
  • You're not just how or why it happened? Well, unless you're paying for a static IP, there's really no mystery there.
  • I mean I dont know why it just decided to change... it doesnt just randomly release or renew or anything....

It only happens when my modem is restarted... but as far as I'm aware it WASNT...
  • It probably just disconnected. It /is/ DSL after all. Even if for just a second, it happens to everyone.
  • Yeah, it was probably just a disconnect and in the time it was disconnected, someone else probably got assigned that IP.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file