My fair and balanced review of IE9 preview, it sucks.

edited June 2010 in Software
Download It here: http://www.idg.com/www/rd.nsf/rd?readfo ... tdrive.com

Accurate as of: March 16 3:58 Central Time

All the tests I have preformed here, would Pass in Firefox, Opera and Google Chrome, which utilize the other popular rendering engines (Gecko, Presto and WebKit respectively). I applaud the efforts being made, this is a strive forward for sure, and while I acknowledge the fact it's only a preview, I can still only sit back and look at my clock and see that it is indeed, the year 2010.

Unrelated, however, features that people would more than likely prefer in a browser, Chrome and Opera both utilize new windows 7 features (taskbar and aero).

ACID2 (http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html): FAILED
ACID3 (http://acid3.acidtests.org): FAILED
HTML5 Video Test (http://double.co.nz/video_test/test2.html) FAILED
Embedable SVG Test (http://apike.ca/prog_svg_webpage.html) FAILED
SVG Render Test 1 (http://apike.ca/media/svg/webexp/webpage.svg) FAILED
SVG Render Test 2 (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... c7/SVG.svg): FAILED
CSS3 Accordion Demo (http://www.fofronline.com/experiments/accordion/#four): PASS

Acid2 Sidenote: They passed this with IE8, this is using IE9 "standards mode", now, there is a slight delay and a "mis-render" before it finally gets it right, which constitutes a fail.

Acid3 SideNote: screw it let's not even go there (i got up to 48%, it was horriably broken, colours were totally improper, and it poped up XML in an iFrame.

HTML5 Video Test Note: The page used for testing works in Opera, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome where HTML5 Video is stated to be supported.

SVG Render Tests:
* These two are known to work on all other browsers that support SVG at the moment.
* Render Test 1 has additional JavaScript in the .svg file, Render Test 2 does not.
* Render Test 2 is faster among the other browsers, however, it is missing the document background gradient.
* IE has always had VML to work off of since v5; VML was used as a basis for SVG.

Accordion CSS3 Demo: Passed without animations; animations are specific to WebKit only.

Reference Hardware: 2.16ghz Intel Dual Core Toshiba Notebook. 3GiB RAM; Windows 7 Ultimate, Google Chrome 4.0.249.89, Firefox 3.6, Opera 10.50, IE9 Preview.

SunSpider Score for Chrome:
* Total: 962.6ms +/- 3.6%
SunSpider Score for Firefox:
* Total: 1424.6ms +/- 5.0%
SunSpider Score for Opera 10.50:
* Total: 772.2ms +/- 3.3%

SunSpider Results for IE9:
============================================
RESULTS (means and 95% confidence intervals)
--------------------------------------------
Total:                 3965.8ms +/- 5.6%
--------------------------------------------
3d:                   624.0ms +/- 7.2%    
cube:               210.4ms +/- 12.0%    
morph:              211.4ms +/- 4.7%    
raytrace:           202.2ms +/- 13.2%  
access:               757.6ms +/- 5.5%
binary-trees:       112.0ms +/- 21.7%
fannkuch:           305.2ms +/- 4.7% 
nbody:              233.2ms +/- 11.3%
nsieve:             107.2ms +/- 31.3%
bitops:               678.8ms +/- 3.4%
3bit-bits-in-byte:   89.2ms +/- 15.6% 
bits-in-byte:       121.2ms +/- 9.9% 
bitwise-and:        326.2ms +/- 5.9% 
nsieve-bits:        142.2ms +/- 15.3%  
controlflow:          133.6ms +/- 18.0%    
recursive:          133.6ms +/- 18.0%  
crypto:               362.2ms +/- 9.7%    
aes:                134.8ms +/- 10.2%    
md5:                111.2ms +/- 13.0%   
sha1:               116.2ms +/- 10.7%  
date:                 249.8ms +/- 5.9%    
format-tofte:       153.2ms +/- 11.4%   
format-xparb:        96.6ms +/- 6.8%  
math:                 395.6ms +/- 24.0% 
cordic:              52.4ms +/- 27.5%
partial-sums:       213.4ms +/- 23.1%
spectral-norm:      129.8ms +/- 28.0%
regexp:                60.8ms +/- 16.3% 
dna:                 60.8ms +/- 16.3%  
string:               703.4ms +/- 15.7%
base64:              88.4ms +/- 16.1% 
fasta:              158.0ms +/- 14.8% 
tagcloud:           139.8ms +/- 12.0% 
unpack-code:        186.4ms +/- 12.3% 
validate-input:     130.8ms +/- 46.8%

Comments

• I took the release of the IE9 preview with a grain of salt. It's just that. A preview.
  • I took the release of the IE9 preview with a grain of salt. It's just that. Internet Explorer.
  • I took the release of the IE9 and tossed it in the trash bin where it belongs.

IE is ok for little shit like checking your email or something, but when you have to do anything else, it's time to use a real browser. Even Firefox, with its many flaws and bugs that they refuse to fix, is still better than IE.
  • Bah, These "OMG FAIL!" results are normal on every version of IE these days...

IE really sucks on 7, I've had to install the whole damn OS only because IE8 has entered on a absolute SNAFU state.. :(

It's really lame to see that IE7 works better than IE8 (I'm talking with the amazing Google Chrome Extension installed)... maybe version numbering is related to this? (Remember why 13 is not the office 2010's version number..) 8 is a really bad number, then.. :\

Anyway, thanks stitch for letting me know what NOT to download today :)
    BlueSun wrote:
    I took the release of the IE9 and tossed it in the trash bin where it belongs.

IE is ok for little shit like checking your email or something, but when you have to do anything else, it's time to use a real browser. Even Firefox, with its many flaws and bugs that they refuse to fix, is still better than IE.
    Totally Agreed +1
  • IE8 is better than IE7. It's slightly better in terms of the UI and definitely better in terms of rendering (but still short of every other modern browser)

IE7 and IE8 are both worse in terms of UI compared to IE 6. IE 6's UI was simple, customizable and generally felt less bloated.
  • FedeArg wrote:
    IE really sucks on 7, I've had to install the whole damn OS only because IE8 has entered on a absolute SNAFU state.. :(

It's pretty unfair to blame that on Internet Explorer, sounds more like pilot error to me. Were you visiting some website you shouldn't have?
    BlueSun wrote:
    IE7 and IE8 are both worse in terms of UI compared to IE 6. IE 6's UI was simple, customizable and generally felt less bloated.

Don't even joke, Internet Explorer 6 is the worst thing to ever happen to the internet.
  • Remember, I was talking about IE 6 in terms of UI design. NOT in terms of how shitty its rendering was or any security issues it had.
  • The customization was it's downfall.
  • Stitch is right, the preview sucks and the final release likely will as well. They're not going to gun for compatibility no matter what they say. They use the whole engine for too many OS things ... any real headway they make for compatibility will be almost emulation like and slow as hell.

Should be more security options in it (I didn't say more secure), but no one except the top 1 per cent of PC users will know what they mean or how to use them anyhow. Worse than useless.
  • tox: customization was done by activex. activex was a trainwreck.

ugly: agreed, not only that but it's readily available for 3rd party software, which adds even more of a headache.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    how so?

1179713432445.jpg
  • Old image is old.

Anyways, regardless of what was going on behind the scenes, the interface as far as the end user is concerned was nice and simple. I've never been a fan of the IE7+ interface.
  • Bonzi Buddy!

I have no idea why it's spyware, I remember when I was little, I used to have it ALWAYS installed on my PC, and it never did anything, It was rather funny. :P

That AOL thing, definitely familiar from when I used AOL back before 2007 :|
  • Hey, I didn't know that such spyware exists... nowadays they're on a tool bar form factor :P

Bonzi Buddy, It reminds to me of Clippit from early versions of Office... ROFL... xD

Anyway that nasty IE6 screenie makes me remember how bad it was! (although, the Google tool bar was more than useful..)
  • Bonzy Buddy. I had that thing for like a month on my family's old win95 box. It started asking for more virtual "bananas" (which came as part of a paid suscription package), that's when I removed bonzy buddy from the PC.