Wireless and MS-DOS 6.22

edited December 2004 in Software
is there any way i can use wireless internet with DOS?

Comments

• I HIGHLY doubt it. Maybe FreeDOS will someday support it as I hope it will support my FastEthernet netwk.

-Q
  • Nope, wireless is mostly used for companys and also it cost way to much so most people don't have it. Like Q said they might add it soon for FreeDOS or even OpenDOS. If you want to use a text based OS with a wirelessnetwork then use Linux.
  • mam693 wrote:
    is there any way i can use wireless internet with DOS?
    You would need to install windows 95 and use the Dos Prompt... :)
  • Uhh.... Does 95 even support wireless?
  • the sys reqs for my laptops carf say 98SE
  • i think 95c supports wireless...
  • Box requirements for shit like that almost always wrong. You read one box and it says one thing and you read something else and it says another thing.
  • I have tons of hardware that claim you need atlest win98 to use but yet on the driver disks have drivers for Linux, DOS (only for a few things), Win95/98/ME, Win2k and WinXP. Also once in a while OS\2.
  • on my printer you can see "windows 95 required" but it works in 3.1 with special drivers.
  • The last mobo I got (second hand from my sister) has video and sound drivers for Win3.x and the mobo isn't that old also. Supports a P3 i think that runs a little past 1GHz.
  • What I did for os's that don't support wireless cards:
    Install wired cards, use crossover cable, have a computer with OS that does support a wireless card share it's connection with the older os.
  • WHAT type of wireless care are you using?? because cisco supports dos and has drives for thereaironet cards
  • Cisco A.K.A Linksys then...
  • Ok I am stupid... Give me the name of the card besides linksys.... and what dos are you running?
  • I found out some of the older wireless cards have NDIS2 (DOS) drivers. Problem is it might be tricky to use MS Client for workgroups with it. I would look for Lanman drivers or even netware.
  • actually.... if you install windows for workgroups 3.11 and install TCP/IP 32 for it, dos network functions also get set up. But a wireless card most likely won't work with this, that's why you need to do ICS with another machine and a crossover.
  • Or just buy a switch that converts wireless to standard ethernet.
  • If it's a USB Wireless Network Adapter then u have to get ATKEAST 95c, but I doubt that it will work unless u upgrade 95 to 98...
  • That's right... 98+ would be recomended for USB, and PCI wireless... if you can get dos drivers then that would be nice, but I doubt it. Plus... mam693 doesn't even seem to be here anymore, so people asking for what network card he has is relatively pointless.... the drawbacks of reviving an old thread.
  • Still it's great to toss in ideas so we can already basicly give the answers to people that might end up asking if they can use wireless in DOS.

Don't need to use win95c for USB support. Win95b has USB support. Theres only one USB driver for DOS I have seen, and thats for a Mouse.
  • theres a USB CD driver and flash disk driver for DOS
  • Most things like mice, external drives, etc come with USB drivers. Wireless is the only exception becuase DOS doesn't support it.
  • you can get programs for wireless nic cards to use in dos
  • what the hell?
    there are tons of different usb dirvers
    and i've heard something about a wireless connection emulator for dos. dunno what it exactly does.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Still it's great to toss in ideas so we can already basicly give the answers to people that might end up asking if they can use wireless in DOS.

Don't need to use win95c for USB support. Win95b has USB support. Theres only one USB driver for DOS I have seen, and thats for a Mouse.
    Yes, I have found drivers that connect all basic elements, mice, keyboards, burners, hard drives.. some panasonic kit that's actually generic. Haven't tried to use it though...
  • I've tryed USB drivers for DOS and they're shotty as hell.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    I've tryed USB drivers for DOS and they're shotty as hell.
    thdn u went rong cos i got my USB flash disk working in DOS and installed win98 using it