yes/no/maybe? (new boxen)

edited March 2010 in Hardware
Open to all suggestions. Going to be upgrading 2 boxes

mine, going from an amd sempron 2600 1.6ghz to?
I had planned:
Proc: AM3 x2 Athlon 240 $62
Mobo: G-B MA78LMT-S2 $72
RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333 PNY $57

second boxen: shared acer POS everyone uses. Currently a P4 @ 3Ghz with 1GB DDR2 (motherboard is cooked and won't take anymore RAM)

thinking of the same build as above, but will the current PSU (lite-on ps-6301-08a) suffice, or new PSU too? its only 300w I think... been powering 2 HDD's, one optical drive, huge ass P4 and 2 fans for a few years

neither box will be "hammered", no hd movies, no games etc. just general use

Comments

• That PSU's probably fine in terms of wattage. I don't know about in terms of amps or build quality.

As for the CPU / motherboard / RAM. Seems fine to me.

Are you under a budget or what?
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Are you under a budget or what?

Sort of :P

Current p4 boxen = as cheap as possible

Current sempron boxen = I don't have a lot of money :P Plus my laptop is essentially my main machine so I don't need a lot of power

One thing I won't go cheap on, power supplies. May replace the one in the P4 box just for the hell of it
  • Yeah, you really don't want to cheap out on the PSU. If it fucks up, it has the potential to take everything else with it.
  • Happy Dude wrote:
    (preferably something from www.msy.com.au - don't let the site burn your eyes)

MY EYES!

On that retna scorching site, I did see the Antec Earthwatts 650 and the Thermaltake TR2 470. If the Antec is too expensive for your taste (from what I can read of the horrible PDF catalog its $110), the Thermaltake is a bit cheaper (at $75), and I can vouch for the reliability because my Core 2 Duo has been running on one for 2 years. I would suggest spending a bit more on the board because the 760G chipset is old. You can get this board for $20 more (It seems to be improperly labeled on the catalog as its the GA-MA785G-US2H, but there is no such motherboard by this name) which has a much newer chipset.
  • Thermaltake isn't bad for cheap PSUs... the low end Antec Basiq in the 430 W is better designed though (imo). Earthwatts lines are supposedly upscale but then I'd choose a Corsair every time.
  • UglynGrey wrote:
    Thermaltake isn't bad for cheap PSUs... the low end Antec Basiq in the 430 W is better designed though (imo). Earthwatts lines are supposedly upscale but then I'd choose a Corsair every time.

I couldn't find any corsairs on that horrible site, else I would have suggested them instead.
  • I spent a good $100 on a CoolerMaster power supply about a year ago for my Linux box that died a month ago. :\ I replaced it with a $25 Apevia power supply that's served me faithfully since. I also have an Apevia power supply in this computer, and it's worked out great. I'm pretty sure I bought one for my server too.

Kirk
  • I have a CoolerMaster in my P4, although the PSU fan died within the first month or so. I replaced that and it's been working fine since. I wouldn't exactly recommend it. I cheap'd out and I know it.

Corsair seems fine, although I wish the cooling fan would run at full speed. I still find it funny that it came in a cloth case.

You should look at getting a modular PSU if you can. Makes your life easier.
  • CoreDuo wrote:
    UglynGrey wrote:
    Thermaltake isn't bad for cheap PSUs... the low end Antec Basiq in the 430 W is better designed though (imo). Earthwatts lines are supposedly upscale but then I'd choose a Corsair every time.

I couldn't find any corsairs on that horrible site, else I would have suggested them instead.

I only said I'd prefer it if it came from that horrible website - I can always order from someone on www.staticice.com.au
  • Happy Dude wrote:
    CoreDuo wrote:
    UglynGrey wrote:

I only said I'd prefer it if it came from that horrible website - I can always order from someone on www.staticice.com.au

http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show.ph ... psCOhx_450

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/pro ... s_id=40365

^ The only site that doesn't look horribly shady.