Router Questions

edited August 2010 in Hardware
I finally got a 100mbps connection out here in the middle of no where, so I thought I might try to share some of my collection. I have things that are not listed on here such as various versions of Microsoft Backoffice and other programs.

Look out below, here I go.........

phone line->modem->router->router->server

In the above diagram, I have a phone line that comes into a DSL modem. the packets then go from the first router to the second router and to the server. I can ping connections to the outside world from the server.

What I am trying to figure out is it possible to set up port forwarding from the first router to the second router and make it connect to the server. The routers that I have are Linksys.

Router 1

Router 2

Server
192.168.1.x (where x is from 10 to 15)

I do understand the basics of routing. as where the default gateway for the server is 192.168.1.1 in which the default gateway for that router is 192.168.2.1 which then proceeds to the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to keep the networks separated like they are.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Usually double NATing doesn't work well. Are you SURE you need separate networks?
  • Something like dd-wrt/openwrt on the first router would allow you to use something like 192.168.0.0/22 in your IP pool. You'd have to delegate IP assignments on your 2nd router to your first, and loose some of the seperation, but you could still do things along the lines of subnetting.
  • Simple answer, yes.

On the first router, forward the port to the second router... on the second router, forward the port to the server.

Double NAT'ing like that can cause problems, but it's not impossible to manage it.
  • 1. Treat your second router as a client to the first router's network. (IE give it a public reserved IP address of 192.168.2.5)

2. Add second router (192.168.2.5) to first router's DMZ or forward specific ports as needed.

3. Add server to second router's DMZ or forward ports as needed.

That's how I would try it at least. I'd recommend a managed router solution though.

One other thing I might add is that you may want to look into rebuilding your subnets up into smaller blocks. It's not entirely necessary but something I typically taylor to the networks I build from an efficiency standpoint.
  • You basically repeated what I said, btw. Except that I forgot to mention a static IP for the second router.
  • Cool beans.