SQL Migration

edited July 2010 in News & Announcements
The MySQL -> PostgreSQL migration is complete.

The original MySQL database is still intact in case we decide to revert back. Please let me know as well if posting speeds increase/decrease, et al.

Report any bugs you find here.

ADD: Yes, the pagegen thing no longer works and is inaccurate.

Comments

• Everything seems ok.

Just for the tech-curious people, why the change? I know in the other thread you said MySQL was a piece of shit, but could you elaborate a bit on that? What makes MySQL suck and PostgreSQL better?
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Everything seems ok.

Just for the tech-curious people, why the change? I know in the other thread you said MySQL was a piece of shit, but could you elaborate a bit on that? What makes MySQL suck and PostgreSQL better?

Well, MySQL is great for beginners, but, it just does not scale well. People were reporting slow times when inserting posts/editing posts, and I thought, well, with the load of that mysql server, lets migrate it.

PostgreSQL is a lot more enterprisey, it scales as well as oracle would, it's a lot more efficient in how it handles data, however, that comes at a steep learning curve I'm even still working on mastering. It's definably got some nice features, the next thing I'm going to look at is permissions via LDAP (which it supports), however it's nothing that you can easily jump into. It's also supported views and stp's long before MySQL ever did, JOINS are much faster, et al. PostgreSQL is also a lot more compliant to the SQL standard than MySQL is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file