mac os 9

edited September 2010 in Software
Do they make a version of mac os 9 the you can install from floppies. i have a old mac powerbook 5300cs and i want to put mac os 9 on it. right now i got mac os 7.6 on it. i thanks for the help i get.

Comments

• Mac OS 9 is NOT available on floppies.

And a PowerBook 5300 series can run Mac OS 9.

Mate, your SOL, unless old-ass Macs can use an external drive.
  • What you'd need to do is have a mac jumper drive with the OS9 files copied onto the hard drive, you'd then link it up to your power mac (not familiar with the 5300 series to much) via the external scsi interface that most macs have/had boot the mac into an OS7.5 or 8 based boot disk and then copy the core system files from the mac OS9 folder onto the local hard drive, or run the installer and install to local hard drive.

This sounds like it may be an expensive thing to do since vintage external drives are pretty expensive and you may get one with a dead hard drive or ports. But thats basically what you'd need to do.
  • Wouldn't let me EDIT so double post.

Just checking this PowerBook does support SCSI based external hard drives, I assume this is how all other people have loaded the MacOS onto their systems, of course you could also buy an external CDROM drive for the computer instead and hook it up via SCSI.
  • I look into getting a cd-rom for it but i have to get the hdi-30 plug frist then get a cd-rom.
  • well like I said won't be cheap, or at least will be reasonably priced these days. As a prefered system 7.6.1 or 8.1 would be better on there according to what I was looking at. But 9.x can run on it.