Becker Tools for Windows

edited January 2011 in Software
Back when I was running 3.1 or so, I had a Windows Shell replacement called Becker Tools. Does anyone have it, or know where to find it now?

Thanx:

Buddha

Comments

• GoGoGoogle

Search Becker Tools, look mid-page for a rapidshare archive
  • Thanx for the reply. I found that one, but it's something other than what I need. I haven't figured out what it does yet.

The one I want is a Windows Shell replacement that ran with Windows 3.0 or 3.1 or so, similar to Norton Desktop or PC Tools for Windows, both of which I've been able to find.

Unfortunately, I bought the prog when I was working in the Middle East back in the late '80s or early '90s, and the installation disks are long since lost.
  • Mmm, too bad I didn't know about Norton Desktop back in the day when I used 3.1. It looks decent.
  • The best thing I used was Calmira for Windows 3.x... not sure if it works pre-3.x, but it was decent.
  • Calmira's pretty good. Unfortunately, I never even heard of it until I already was running XP, and I've only used it on a Virtual PC.

I can't believe Becker Tools is so hard to find. It was really a good ProgMan/Desktop replacement, and I'd like to set it up on a VPC for nostalgia as much as anything else.
  • Before I actually get off my lazy butt and look for it, was it like a shell replacement with loads of little icons off to the side, and kinda looked like the file manager midnight commander?

EDIT: Apparently I was thinking of a file manager that had the same name. Looks nowhere near a shell replacement for windows.
  • It's been so long, I can't remember for sure to be truthful. If you have a file manager by that name, I'd appreciate being able to give it a try. What you mention sounds familiar.

Thanx,

Buddha
  • I'm poking around to see if I can even come across the file manager program... I'll try when I'm actually at home next week to see if I may or may not even have a copy of it from my ebay buying spree.
    Only thing I basically have to work with is this single page from a copy of infoworld which is this
  • noone wrote:
    I'm poking around to see if I can even come across the file manager program... I'll try when I'm actually at home next week to see if I may or may not even have a copy of it from my ebay buying spree.
    Only thing I basically have to work with is this single page from a copy of infoworld which is this
    Judging by the image, it looks a lot like Windows Commander or Midnight Commander... It's a two-column file browser :)

EDIT: Some nice info here: http://www.expressmetrix.com/esid/pc-ap ... er%20Tools
  • That looks like it alright. Now it's just a matter of finding the blasted thing somewhere.

I'm always amazed by the things I've managed to loseover the years, and how hard they can be to find again.

Thanx,

Buddha
  • Have two versions of this. Which one be ye looking for?
  • os2fan2 wrote:
    Have two versions of this. Which one be ye looking for?
    Actually both of them would be nice.
  • I had both versions at one time, but can't recall the differences between the two.

I would really prefer to have both.

Thanx,

Buddha