Small Suggestion (Image Resizing)

edited December 2010 in Site Issues
WinBoards is great and all, but in threads where people love to post huge images (ex: Desktop thread) I think it might be useful to have some sort of auto-resize feature for images. You know, if someone has a 1024x768 monitor, and someone posts a 1600x1200 image, it's annoying to have to scroll back and forth to see the whole image - and it stretches out the entire thread on that page.

Maybe it's just me, but even on 1280x1024 I have to scroll to the right to finish reading any posts when there are large images in a thread

Sometimes I make too big of a deal over little things, but this I think (if it isn't too hard to implement) would be useful.

Here's a double example:

imgrsze.jpg
FYI, it's a "double example" because it is an example for:
1) How the word-wrap function in posts is changed by a wide image
2) How another forum resizes images to fix this

;)

- gdea73

Comments

• We could have something like that, but in reality it's not too much of an issue.

If you're really fussed, use an image uploader that has resizeable thumbnails. Here's an example.

1110Csdb.jpg
  • Or get a decent browser that does it for you?

</opera plug>
  • It's a pretty simple bit of javascript (and some slight modification to the IMG BBCode tag) to implement that.

But considering that the meta tags have been broken for weeks and the text fields for login are still yellow on white, I wouldn't expect this to get implemented any time soon.
  • I'd have started working on those things, but I don't have access to the forum files (another thing on the todo list).
  • How come? I can access them fine...
  • Try to overwrite or upload a file to the winboards directory, you'll get a forbidden error.
  • Duff wrote:
    I'd have started working on those things, but I don't have access to the forum files (another thing on the todo list).

I figured it was something like that.
  • Duff wrote:
    Try to overwrite or upload a file to the winboards directory, you'll get a forbidden error.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that bit.

Stitch really needs to fix permissions ASAP, once he's fixed the HDD problems.
  • Thanks for all the replies. It's not a big issue at all, it just bothers me a little bit and only sometimes.

I've tried Opera (and like it) but I stick to Chrome on slow(er) machines just because it's quick to launch and quick to operate. Opera is fast as well, but for some reason it can't beat Chrome's instant launch speed.

Firefox takes 30 seconds to open, I can't stand it. Otherwise a good browser, but it slows this PC down.
  • Specs of your PC? Firefox takes about 2-3 seconds to load on my machine (P4 2.8 Ghz / 2 GB of RAM / XP Pro SP3)
  • Rioter wrote:
    Duff wrote:
    Try to overwrite or upload a file to the winboards directory, you'll get a forbidden error.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that bit.

Stitch really needs to fix permissions ASAP, once he's fixed the HDD problems.

stitch needs to fix a lot of shit, stitch should start on that now.
  • How's that new footrest of yours?
  • BOD wrote:
    Or get a decent browser that does it for you?

</opera plug>

You got to it before me since I haven't checked in for a few days... I just hit the "shrink to fit" button on opera and I'm good to go.
  • @ BlueSun: Really?
    Hmm... I'm running a P4 2.8 GHz, 512MB RAM (DDR 400MHz). Even on a perfectly fresh install of XP, Firefox takes 20 to 30 seconds to open for the first time. So, if I've opened Firefox already that session then it only takes 5 seconds. But if I haven't opened it since I logged on / powered up the PC, it takes forever.

Oh well, Chrome is nice and quick to open
  • PS: finally, winworld is back online!
  • GDEA73 wrote:
    @ BlueSun: Really?
    Hmm... I'm running a P4 2.8 GHz, 512MB RAM (DDR 400MHz). Even on a perfectly fresh install of XP, Firefox takes 20 to 30 seconds to open for the first time. So, if I've opened Firefox already that session then it only takes 5 seconds. But if I haven't opened it since I logged on / powered up the PC, it takes forever.

Oh well, Chrome is nice and quick to open

Well, that's the beauty of prefetch.