W98 - Thank You So Much

edited February 2011 in Software
I want to thank you guys so much for helping me find a W98 OS. I am still downloading it but thank you.

I have the windows virtual pc and started wondering to myself if it could run other OS by the look of, found out it could. So I have some old videogames that wouldn't run correctly on anything past 98 so hopefully this will fix it. Going to get a Windows 3.1 next so I can play one of the first games ever (need to find a computer with a 3.5" floppy drive so I can recover the info off the disk.)

So thank you, hopefully I won't have to worry about seeing a virus pop out if I winrar the folder (no offense I hope I can trust you guys, which it seems like I can)

Comments

• Good to hear! File quality is taken quite seriously around here.
  • Thank you again,

I'll take a crack at it tomorrow with the Virtual Machine. Hopefully I'll be able to run Virtual On again
  • OH one question, there is a upgrade of the operating system is that the upgrade from say like 95 to 98 installer or is that a colletion of updates?
  • First off I assume you mean Microsoft's VirtualPC 2007 so with that in mind.

That would be the OS upgrade disc to go from a prior system. For new installs it's easier to go for the normal Windows 98 disc.

Just to point out I am not sure how good VPC is for playing Windows based games, especially Dirct3D and OpenGL. Also you should get a copy of VPC additions for the 2004 version for full compatibility of Drivers for Windows 95 and Windows 98.

I assume if you have hardware virtualization enabled it would probably yield higher frame rates than before, the inherit problem with playing old games on VPC is the graphics chip it emulates.
  • wow that's alot I think I understood that, cause I know the Xp mode hates me cause it will not carry over my GPU drivers. But as for the 98SE I did get the game running, now I am trying to incorporate my 360 controller into it. Yikes

And for all you game nuts, I got a good laugh when the system asked me if I wanted to installed DirectX 3, and for those who don't know W7 comes with DirectX 11
  • There's the old page I had the links for my early DirectX collection on.

http://www.angelfire.com/anime6/richies ... rectx.html

good old angelfire :p

Most of the files are still active as far as I know.