intalled xp on old laptop

edited July 2011 in Hardware
I installed windows xp on my acer travelmate 602ter. it's a 650mhz laptop with 256mb of memory in it. my thing is after i installed service pack 3 it just crawls. what can i turn off in xp that i don't need running. i had windows 2000 on it but a lot of thing didn't on it and told me to put windows xp or higher on it. hope there some help out there and thank for any help i can get.

Comments

• There's a few sites out there that will walk you through disabling unnecessary services. A few I can think of right off the bat are security center, themes, and server (unless you're sharing files from the laptop).
  • You can also look at this program.

http://www.soluto.com/

Its pretty easy to use and it will measure your start up time after you make changes. This is more for start up.. Maybe you have programs also running in background you don't need.
  • i know it takes about 15 to 25 minutes to start up everything xp needs to start up. the only thing i put on there was microsoft antivirus. just the win xp and ms antivirus are the only thing that starts up. i will try that one program if it will start up and let me in stall it. if i have to put windows 2000 back on i will. thanks for the help.
  • I'm pretty sure my old 300 Mhz laptop with 128 MB of RAM starts up faster than that with XP on.
  • that's about how long it takes. i know it had windows 98 on it once since there a sticker on the bottom with windows 98 key and on top of the laptop that's a sticker saying made for windows 98.
  • I had XP on a Celeron 500 with 128MB of RAM, it wasn't quick by any means, but it certainly booted a lot quicker than that.
  • Not really helping but I have Xp running on a Compaq Presario 4220 with only 64 megts of ram and a 166Mhz proc and it boots faster than that.

Did you do an upgrade or fresh install?
  • I just put windows 98 back on it last night. i may upgrade it back to windows 2000. so at least i can go online with windows 2000.
  • I'm confused by you last comment about Windows 98 and the internet. I have a Windows 98SE box (IBM P3 667Mhz) and I'm on the internet all the time with it. Not sure why you need Windows 2000 to use internet.
  • Download a copy of Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs and try it out. It's a slimmed down copy of XP meant for running on older hardware.