server software

edited October 2011 in Software
What is the eases sever software out there for someone to use. i downloaded My SQL . I basically want to start a forum server. Thanks for the help. :D

Comments

• To host a forum you'll need a web server (Apache), PHP, and MySQL.

The easiest thing to do is download a WAMP package like this and install it. After installing and configuring it (read the documentation/how-to) it's just a matter of copying the phpBB files to an accessible directory and running the installer.
  • Technically, you don't *need* MySQL to run a forum. Any DBMS supported by the forum software will work...
  • i was told to use ubuntu server. I going to download it and give it a try. i did download mysql and wamp and installed them but i keep getting warning of missing dll files. So it won't run. I am running windows 2000. So i give ubuntu a try. thanks for the help.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Technically, you don't *need* MySQL to run a forum. Any DBMS supported by the forum software will work...

Yeah but it's the easiest (well, SQLite would be, but scaling to a forums is just ehhh)

this site is running on debian linux, the cherokee httpd, postgresql, php-cgi with eaccelerator. If you spend a good day actually reading on how the software operates, and reading the documentation, you can probably pull it off too. Cherokee's nice on Linux as it provides a shiny web ui :>