Windows XP Bug

edited November 2011 in Software
lol I'm not trolling or spamming or anything... but there's this bug in XP that I noticed a few months ago and it bothers me every so often. Not a big deal but I realized it does exist and didn't think anyone knew...

- go to the Documents and Settings folder
- open any user's folder
- select their Start Menu Folder
- hit Ctrl + C and then Ctrl + V

notice something? yeah, for some reason, (it must be a 'special' folder) XP doesn't rename the second Start Menu folder, as it would with a normal copied folder. Of course you can delete your copy, no harm done, but if you're trying to back up the Start Menu, this can be sort of annoying... (renaming it will not show up in Explorer most of the time, even if you move the copy to your Desktop, and rename it, the path to the folder will stay the same until you rename it via command line. and even then it still won't show up right in Explorer.)

actually I think I've only tried this with the current user, might not affect when you're on a different account. Anyway, probably not that interesting, definitely not that cool, but, apparently true.

Comments

• I don't think this is a "bug" per say, but yes, this is true. It keeps the name "Start Menu" because of a directive in the desktop.ini file.
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-21786

This "bug" is fixed on Windows 7.
  • ah... well true I guess it's not a bug it's just strange, confused me for a while on a fresh install of XP.

lol still doesn't make me want Windows 7 back ;)