windows vista?

edited December 2011 in Software
I am thinking about maybe (on my newer machine) installing vista. Sadly it only has 504MB not 512MB (of RAM) and i want a genuine vista not a vLited. But it does have an intel atom (1.6Ghz) so i think the CPU passed the test.

Comments

• nah, use XP or Ubuntu, would be better suited to that hardware.

If you must get a newer Windows, use Win7. As we all know, Vista was almost as much of a joke as ME. lol, as "me". anyway.
  • well can i just upgrade the ram then get vista
  • anything vista will run on will usually run windows 7 fine. why not just use 7?
  • Vista should run on that, but don't expect anything awesome or usable beyond basic tasks. You'll need to tweak it a bit, disable services that aren't needed, etc. But it could be done.
  • yeah, as BlueSun said, it wouldn't be great.

If it had like 1GB of RAM it might run Win7 *okay* but still 1G isn't a lot for Win7. 1G will run XP or Ubuntu 10.10 perfectly well, as I've experienced.

I prefer to find an OS suitable for the hardware, rather than mess with the hardware with the end goal of being compatible with a newer OS. (Why do you think I like WinWorld/WinBoards? I still use Win9x :))

What OS does it have now? XP? If any, what's wrong with it?
  • It has XP. But i am going to put 2GB of ram in it.
  • Yeah, XP is fine. It's the most tolerable version of Windows for "normal people". Well, maybe Windows 7 is more tolerable. I recommend XP though, especially on that hardware.

Perfectionism is nice sometimes, but the fact that I find no modern OS good enough is frustrating at times. Ubuntu's close, as is Mac OS X. Both have flaws though, Ubuntu with its limited hardware/software compatibility, and Mac OS X with its slight quirks (why the hell won't they just let me maximize the window? God!), and the dock which is shiny but IMO not that efficient.

OS X feels like the most "complete" consumer OS available right now. Microsoft never really tried to achieve that other than Windows/Office integration, but a nice shiny Macintosh running OS X is pretty cool.
  • ROFL I got an "unable to add word" PHP error with "perfectionism". What are you guys hinting at here?
  • Depending on what version your running, Mac OS X is almost 10 years old. Although V 10.5 and up are radically different from the initial V10 product.

As many have said skip Vista go to 7. I have Vista on a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535, runs just fine but If I could be bothered would put WIn7 on it.
  • GDEA73 wrote:
    ROFL I got an "unable to add word" PHP error with "perfectionism". What are you guys hinting at here?

screenshot it next time
  • crap, should've. My bad. Didn't really affect anything though, i refreshed the page and it posted.
  • GDEA73 wrote:
    crap, should've. My bad. Didn't really affect anything though, i refreshed the page and it posted.

I'm thinking database error, and with all the hell the database has seen there could be a few loose issues lying around that few people will hit.

It's all good though, it's nothing critical.
  • GDEA73 wrote:
    and Mac OS X with its slight quirks (why the hell won't they just let me maximize the window? God!)

Isn't that what full screen mode is for in Lion?
  • Didn't they fix the maximize button behavior at the same time?
  • i am just going to get 2GB RAM and Windows 7 Home Premium (32bit) OEM from tigerdirect.
  • Didn't know they fixed it for Lion. But still, it took them how long?

dontabandonme: whatever you want. You asked for our opinions. Didn't you? :P
  • yes i wanted your opinions. I don't like the fact that OSX is not available for pcs and to use it on a pc you need certain parts.
  • Stay Well away from vista.
    Uses too much ram and is slow also constantly updating
    go with windows xp or 2000 if you like :) win 2k is good
  • Vista does not "constantly" update... it doesn't update any more frequently than Windows usually does and that includes XP.
  • Why the fuck is anyone even considering windows 2000 anymore?!
  • BOD wrote:
    Why the fuck is anyone even considering windows 2000 anymore?!

Because this is / was an abandonware forum?
  • It's a 1.6GHz Atom. Useless.