Windows 95 installation

edited November 2012 in Software
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to post any advice concerning the installation of Win95.

I am trying to help out a school here in Africa that has some very old computers. They are using computers with Win95 and they only have 3.5mm floppy disk drives.

I am downloading the Win95 4.00.950 with the intention of reinstalling this program on some of the computers here. Some of the computers have corrupt or missing files and are not booting.

I have never done this before and was just curious if anyone had a couple pointers for me to keep in mind.

My first question is related to using these floppy disks...

I see the zip file I am downloading is over 20 MB. Am I going to need to use 20 floppy disks to get this data onto these old computers? (1.44MB per floppy)

Any is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• The archive has individual floppy images.
  • You'll need to use WinImage to write the images to floppy disks. In the copy you downloaded, there are 13 disk images. Each image holds more than a standard 1.44MB floppy due to the disk format Microsoft used (DMF).

Given your location and situation, I assume there isn't internet access for each PC. So I'd recommend using the 3.5" version of 95B OSR2, available here. It's quite a bit larger, at 22 disks, but it includes numerous bugfixes and updates not included in the original OEM copy you downloaded.

Either way, the installation should be pretty straight forward. Boot to a DOS prompt from floppy, format C:, then A:/setup and follow the onscreen instructions. Be prepared to go driver hunting if necessary.
  • Duff wrote:
    Either way, the installation should be pretty straight forward. Boot to a DOS prompt from floppy, format C:, then A:/setup and follow the onscreen instructions. Be prepared to go driver hunting if necessary.

That's A:\setup, this is DOS, not *NIX. :P
  • Thank-you so much for the info.

I will give it a go and post my results.

Thanks again.
  • [trolling] hey can i have a fuck becuz i ran out of fucks 2 give
  • [trolling] hey can i have a fuck becuz i ran out of fucks 2 give
    slam.gif