(Win98SE) Standby Problems

edited May 2012 in Software
My Gateway PIII has been running fine with Win98SE now, except this strange problem with standby, which I never encountered before.

When I enter standby mode, via the Shut Down menu, the computer enters sleep mode successfully (incl. video power down), but then after 1-3 seconds, the amber power light turns green and the computer wakes up entirely. I honestly don't know what would be causing this, I've only seen this type of problem on Linux - if Win98 has had suspend problems, it's been suspend or nothing - "a program or driver is preventing the computer from entering standby," etc.

Any idea where to start? I've tried messing with BIOS settings, i.e. HDD power control, VESA video power down, PnP OS, etc. Currently on, on, and off, respectively.

Comments

• Well, it sounds like there's some hardware or software that's waking it up.

Do you have an optical mouse? I've had those wake systems up before.

Beyond that, are there any background tasks / idle tasks that might wake up the system?
  • If memory serves loosely, doesn't it need to be in S1 power state to avoid this or is it S3, or is memory failing me. There were so many things that 98 didn't like with standby and hibernation at the time as I recall.
  • I think the computer would go into S3 before... though I'm not sure. The fan would usually stay on, but the hard drives would shut off, as with the video card. There was an option in BIOS to disable whether the fan stayed on during standby, but it was "recommended" to leave the fan "Always On."

I don't have an optical mouse. I tried disconnecting the speakers I added, which wouldn't have caused the problem anyway. The only peripherals are a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, the CRT monitor (of course), the network cable, and - if I choose to leave them in - the speakers.

Strange as I never had this problem with this PC before, on the exact same OS. I'm guessing that the new GPU I added (nVidia GeForce 2 MX (AGP)) could be preventing standby. PMTshoot didn't do anything, and I have the latest drivers installed for the GeForce.

well I'll look into this more later, might try uninstalling the GPU drivers.
  • If the fan was staying on, it's not S3

S3 is effectively hibernate only things stay in RAM instead of being in a hibernate file.
  • Hm, well maybe it was S1 then. I am pretty sure everything but the RAM and PSU fan shut off, but I could be wrong. It's the PSU fan that stayed on, in accordance with the BIOS setting, which I thought was *possible* in S3 but just unusual.

But assuming it's S1, what do I do next? I suppose remove the GPU drivers, and then swap GPUs if that's the case...

(in which case, anyone want an AGP GeForce 2? haha :P)
  • I've had problems with a Gateway I had (Gateway Solo 1100), would go to standby successfully, but I couldn't "wake up" successfully, requiring me to restart the machine. Then once I tried to wake up the computer and Norton screwed up something and I had to use the recovery CD.
  • Event Log show anything useful?

Edit: nvm, this is Windows 98....
  • Modem wakeup? Ethernet wakeup? Screensaver that starts literally at the same time as it sleeps? This IS Windows 98 we're talking about.
  • Figured it out. Was running an nVidia GeForce 2 MX (64MB AGP) which may have been too new for the AGP 2X slot in the first place, and well either way the drivers for the nVidia prevented sleep mode from working correctly, IIRC.

Or maybe I had the drivers for the Rage 128 Pro installed wrong... either way I have the R128 installed now with different (Dell/OEM) drivers installed and it suspends fine ;)